Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hand tools (2nd set for hangar)

Default Hand tools (2nd set for hangar)

Now that my build will be transitioning from my garage to the hangar, I'm seeing the need for a second set of tools for the hangar. I don't want the waste flying money on tools that will only see light use, but I also know that going too cheap would be aggravating in the long term. I had thought about just getting some Harbor Freight stuff, but I don't have personal experience with any of their hand tools really, and I am concerned that they may be a step too far in the cheap direction. It seems like the Lowes Kobalt tools are pretty nice. Any comments on what brands are the best bargain versus quality?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Hand tools (2nd set for hangar)

This would be nothing but a personal opinion matter but...
    Craftsman have always been really reasonable in cost and quality. I have bought the stuff sold at those big box stores. Husky and Kobalt have never impressed me. In fact Husky will never see the time of day in my garage. Just my opinion. You can get some pretty decent deals right now given Sears is having a reduction in stores.
    Eddie

I purchased the bench top drill press and belt/disc sander from Harbor Freight. The drill press works just fine, the belt sander is somewhat under powered but serviceable.
    The two hand tools we use the most from Harbor Freight are the oscillating multi-tool and mini belt sander. The oscillating tool is great for trimming fiberglass items like cowlings, Laker Leader Edge system ect. using the optional cutting head shown in the photo.
    The belt sander was great for trimming many items and gets into some pretty small areas easily. Great for trimming acrylic windshields.

harbor freight power tools2.jpg

harbor freight power tools mini belt sander1.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    The belt sander was great for trimming many items and gets into some pretty small areas easily. Great for trimming acrylic windshields.
    I might be drifting off the OP's topic, but +1 on this mini belt sander. I think HF calls it a bandfile. This is a tool I never knew I needed until I had it. It fills the space between a Dremel sanding drum and a benchtop belt sander nicely. It's good for getting clean, straight sanded edges on parts that are too big or awkward to work on a belt sander.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I love that tool as well. I have the air powered version.

Probably not considered on the cheap side but I been slowly replacing old Craftsman tools with GearWrench socket sets and combination wrenches. The wrenches with ratcheting box and a flex joint are very nice.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I have always tried to save some up $$ when I knew a new tool was going to be needed, I like to purchase my tools only once and this is one area I will spend more for one that will last and work as it should.

I have a huge mix of Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, Gearwrench and Husky hand tools. For wrenches, Snap-On and Gearwrench are the best fitting I've found. Sockets, there is no comparison to the fit of Snap-on and the new Gearwrench 6-pointers. Screwdrivers I have a mix of everything but the Matco and Mac fit well and last but the Snap-on ratcheting ones are really nice. Allen wrenches and socket tips are also a mixed bag and all work well but some fit American better and others fit Metric better. My ratchets are also a mixed bag but I like my Mac plastic handled ones best and the ratchet click just sounds nice. Electric tools is also a mixed bag of whatever is easiest to obtain, but I've had one Dremel for 18/20 years and four planes.
    James T
    Valrico, FL