Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to order

Default Re: Getting ready to order

You can use the same wheels if you plan to use the Desser 850x6 tires. It is a 6" rim.

As far as a tailwheel it really depends on what type of flying you are wanting to do:
    -The ABI 3200 standard will work just fine for any type of back country or unimproved airstrip. Unless you want to do some serious off roading this is all you would really need. Of course need and want are different things.

-The ABI 3200b is different from the standard one in that it has a wider fork to accommodate a bigger tire. You would want this if you plan to go to unimproved locations that might have big rocks, bumps/holes, bushes, branches, etc. Of course the replacement tire and tube are going to cost a lot more when it goes flat.

-The T-3 tail wheel has a shock absorber instead of a spring, but it appears to have the same tire as the 3200 standard. This would also be for someone wanting to land it at places where you might encounter rocks, bumps, holes or doing STOL landings where you are dropping it in on the tail. This definitely has a high cool factor.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

The only down side to the heavy duty tailwheels and the T3 shock mount is added weight to the already somewhat heavy Kitfox tail. I have the 3200 standard and no T3, and my tail weight is over 100 lbs. What this means is it is easier to run out of rear CG before you fill up the baggage compartment. Its worth it to me and most folks, but just be aware. The 3200 std is quite a bit heavier than the Matco that comes with the kit, and the 3200b wide fork with baby bushwheel tire is heavier yet. Of course the T3 is heavier than the standard tailwheel spring.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim/Phil,

Do you know if the T3 suspension can be fitted using the standard Kitfox Matco 8" tailwheel assembly ?.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thank you for the information, Phil and Jim.

I was unaware of the C.G. problems this change would make.

Maybe my best bet would be to forget about the T-3 and go with the aluminum tailwheel assembly and a standard 3200 wheel.

Does this sound like a better idea?

Joe

Hay Joe,

I installed the t3 with ABW 3200. Don't notice any difference in tail weight from running the stock spring or the Grove spring. My Tail weight was 65 when I built it. I would not say that is a problem and the difference of maybe a pound(T3 to stock spring) is not going to make much of a difference.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

I hope I didn't make it sound like a problem, just an FYI to be aware of. The Kitfox has a 150 lb baggage compartment limit, but I can't get anywhere close to that weight in mine without running out of rear CG.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Scott and Jim

I am curious now as to why there is 35 pounds diffence in the tail weights of your airplanes. They are both SS7’s.

Are they equipped differently?

Joe

I think some of the difference is the Airmaster (26 lb) on the front of my plane.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Quote Originally Posted by ORGreen View Post
    Scott and Jim

I am curious now as to why there is 35 pounds diffence in the tail weights of your airplanes. They are both SS7’s.
    My tail weight was 53 pounds and I am at the forward end of the CG range. This allows me to load well over 100 pounds in the baggage area.

It has a lot to do with your engine and prop choices as well as were you mount other things like the battery and avionics. When I built mine I knew I had a heavy engine and did everything I could to make sure I wouldn't be out the forward CG limit. I put as much stuff in the tail area (battery, radios, ELT) and to lighten up the FWF area.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I think my best course is to find out out what the lightest combination is for the tail wheel assembly. On the forward end it will most likely be a Rotax 192uls and a fix pitch prop.
    I will find out when I call next week.

Thank you all for the great information.

Joe G