Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Igintion Issue

Default Re: Igintion Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Another thing that I have discovered. These ignition units are not very powerful. I gap my NGK plugs (per Hal Stockman's recommendation) to .020-.024". I have found their performance is better than the .028-.032" recommended by Rotax.

Be sure to at least check them before installing. I have seen new plugs with up to .040" gap in the box.
    This has been my practice since the early days. I can't remember why I went this way, but I am typically not an experimenter in things technical and so presume I heard it from some source - likely the early email lists. My climate is not as cold as some on the forum, but have camped overnight in sub freezing temps and flown in the Desert Southwest and have not had issues with cold starts, hot restarts or long periods between starts.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Good evening folks. Hope everyone is staying away from each other and spending time in the Hanger or better yet,in the Air.
    I just wanted to update my recent experience with a few modifications on my 24 year old 912 UL with close to 900 fairly trouble free hours. Over the past couple of years I have found when the hanger temp gets close to freezing the CDI modules do NOT provide enough juice to start the engine. My cure for this was to zip tie a "automotive battery blanket" over the modules and leave it plugged in all the time. About 50 watts power consumption.
    I got concerned that if these CDI`s should fail in flight over our inhospitable terrain the outcome may not be good and started looking for alternatives to the 900USD (each) from Rotax dealers. I found a supplier in France who makes up CDI`s that come with enough cable to mount them remotely from the engine. Just last week I installed these in my Vixen. There is enough cable supplied to mount them on the cockpit side of the firewall! I have only used them a few hours,but so far it starts better than ever. Hopefully I won`t get a chance to try the COLD start for quite a few months!
    I am not sure if I am allowed the state the company name in this forum. The price is about 50% lower than original equipment. I could PM it if anyone is interested.

The other modification was increasing the size of the balance tube. I have around 100 hours on this change and I believe the engine runs smoother through all RPM ranges. It is a 912UL with a 72 inch IFA IVO prop. Purchased on this forum to replace a 70 inch "high pitch" IVO I have used for the past 10 years or so.

Appreciate anyone`s questions or comments.

Cheers
    Don

Don, you can name that ignition module manufacturer. It may be of value to other members. 👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Good evening folks. Hope everyone is staying away from each other and spending time in the Hanger or better yet,in the Air.
    I just wanted to update my recent experience with a few modifications on my 24 year old 912 UL with close to 900 fairly trouble free hours. Over the past couple of years I have found when the hanger temp gets close to freezing the CDI modules do NOT provide enough juice to start the engine. My cure for this was to zip tie a "automotive battery blanket" over the modules and leave it plugged in all the time. About 50 watts power consumption.
    I got concerned that if these CDI`s should fail in flight over our inhospitable terrain the outcome may not be good and started looking for alternatives to the 900USD (each) from Rotax dealers. I found a supplier in France who makes up CDI`s that come with enough cable to mount them remotely from the engine. Just last week I installed these in my Vixen. There is enough cable supplied to mount them on the cockpit side of the firewall! I have only used them a few hours,but so far it starts better than ever. Hopefully I won`t get a chance to try the COLD start for quite a few months!
    I am not sure if I am allowed the state the company name in this forum. The price is about 50% lower than original equipment. I could PM it if anyone is interested.

The other modification was increasing the size of the balance tube. I have around 100 hours on this change and I believe the engine runs smoother through all RPM ranges. It is a 912UL with a 72 inch IFA IVO prop. Purchased on this forum to replace a 70 inch "high pitch" IVO I have used for the past 10 years or so.

Appreciate anyone`s questions or comments.

Cheers
    Don

Good morning again folks
    Desert Fox4 has advised it is OK to name the CDI supplier. I have NO affiliation will them other than this one deal. Their representative is Eric. Website www.allumage-moto.fr phone 0033(0).81.55.23.39. Price is approximately 500USD.

I fabricated a small aluminum box and mounted them on the cockpit side of the firewall. There is sufficient wire to reach the old location on the engine. Simple installation. I have the older 4 wire connectors. If so, be careful with the single wire connections to get them right.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Don