Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: engine choice

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: engine choice

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    How does one find a 200 ish hour Rotax? I have been on Barnstormers, Trade a Plane... and can rarely find a Rotax at all. I saw a 914 and a couple 912’s last time I looked. The 914 was tempting (actually not really. I don’t have the money for any engine right now), but at $9400 is something lurking that I don’t know about or is that the going price.

I am trying to watch to see what comes up and what the price is, so when I am ready to buy I have an idea of what a reasonable price might be.
    There is usually some real good reason or "issue" that a 200 hr Rotax, just out of warranty, would be for sale. They say Rotax's usually make TBO and then some with regular maintenance.
    The only good reason I can think of, why one would be for sale, would be to upgrade to a larger engine .
    I would only look at one that has a good log, and if repaired, done by a known quality Rotax center.
    I doubt anyone is going to sell their 200 hr engine if it is running well and fitting their needs.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Where do I look? In addition to Barnstormers, Trade a Plane....

Rotax are widely used in many S-LSA aircraft. If an aircraft is damaged or totaled but the engine is serviceable then it may appear on the market. They are desireable engines so when found, quick action may be needed to aquire a nice one. Very good luck to you in your search.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Talk to people like Hal Stockman, at Zipper engine Kits.

Or Ronnie Smith at South Mississippi Light Aircraft.

These are two very good resources for 912 parts and complete engines.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by jmcqueen9731 View Post
    ok, so i have run the gammut of research on all of the engines and have decided that the 912uls with an efi package is probably the way to go. without going into all the ins and outs with compare/contrast, let's just say that reliability and proven performance has led me to this point. quite simply, the 912 can take a substantial beating in many types of airframes. for the kitfox, i believe it is head and shoulders above the likes of viking/honda (NOT an aircraft engine!) for STOL aircraft. sure, other engines will work a treat, such as the O-200 and 235, but rotax has the proven history / performance for higher revving engines to do what STOLs are supposed to do, namely, get off the ground quickly. i just want to find a good used 200 to 300 hour 912uls to add an efi package to.
    Go team Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by maxpayne View Post
    Go team Yamaha
    Definitely an intriguing option. However, you will need to build your own engine mount, work with a third party re-drive system, build/extensively modify a wire harness to make the engine run plus the multitude of other things that an unsupported engine system requires.

IMO, for the true experimenter, this is a far more intriguing option than the auto-conversions.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Are you in any hurry to find an engine? I am thinking of ordering one of the Edge motors and taking the 912 off my plane. It is an 80 HP with the Extra-Performance 95 HP pistons. Carbs were just rebuilt, the gearbox sent off to Ronnie Smith in Mississippi for thorough check out and re-shimming. I will be selling it after I get a new engine shipped in and ready to install. It has right at 200 hrs. TT +/- but will get an exact time on it when I remove it. I'm 1500 miles from the plane right now so can't give an exact TT.

Regarding the question of where to find used Rotax engines; there are aviation equivalent type businesses to auto wrecking yards.

There are several around the country; and, one example is located in MN but does national distribution.

http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/

Aside from normal certificated aircraft and parts, they have a collection of experimental and light sport aircraft & parts including engines.

It would not be unreasonable to think they might have some 912's

Again, there are other yards of this type around the country, but this is one a person could check with to see what they have.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

still trying
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yamaha.140 hp
    Attached Images Attached Images