Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: dle's Oz Build

Default Re: dle's Oz Build

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Looks great David. I enjoyed covering the wing. It's neat to see it going from being a bunch of wood and aluminum to an honest-to-god wing.
    Agree. But I’ve taken time out to do the firewall and cowl before tackling the LH wing. Breaks it up and gives a bit of variation from covering.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by David47 View Post
    Agree. But I’ve taken time out to do the firewall and cowl before tackling the LH wing. Breaks it up and gives a bit of variation from covering.
    John suggested this approach to me when I was in Idaho, and after getting a wing done, I'm also glad to be doing it this way. Covering is satisfying, but it's a lot of work, and a lot of solvent fumes. It's nice to be back to something else for a bit.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I spent the weekend fitting up the windshield, coaming panel and instrument panel. The windshield needed a bit of trimming along the sides where it tucks into the door frame sill on both sides. I also needed to get the heat gun out and go to work flattening out the rear corners as they'd curled up quite a bit. Not a problem now. The most intricate part of this whole exercise was fitting up the coaming panel. It took a fair bit of tweeking and trimming to get it seating well, and then some dexterity in handling and then bonding the forward tangs to the windshield - even with the boot cowl off I found it difficult to hold 3 things at once, drill holes and/or bond stuff. I've installed anchor nuts around the perimeter of the boot cowl so that it will be fully removable and fortunately, when I fitted the boot cowl to the windshield, lessons learned from reading other threads told me to ensure a good fit between the two. I have a very good fit but need to come up with a sealing solution that doesn't need redoing every time I remove the cowl. I've also trimmed the coaming panel so that I have a 2" overhang of the instrument panel in the middle, tapering to about 1/2" at the lower edge. I'll wait until the instrument panel is installed with all instruments and the screen in before I decide whether to trim it back or not. I have 3" thick seats and on my first trial at sitting in the seat, there is potential for couple of instruments being slightly obscured. All up, a very satisfying weekend, with grateful help from a lifelong friend Terry (TJ).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder

Great progress Dave! My only comment is that I not sure you should have flattened out those curled up corners! They have a purpose when folding the wings - but I suspect you were joking?!

Anyway, you are making great progress. Wont be too long now!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ross, I was worried about the curled corners flapping like a butterfly !!. Still got quite a bit to do but really enjoyed covering the RH wing. Very satisfying to see a finished assembly. The tunnel is long as you know, but there’s a faint indication of light ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

Wow David, that's a huge amount of work over a weekend. The firewall / cowling is coming up quickly here. I need to read a few build threads to learn how this all goes together. Right now these big pieces of fiberglass look pretty rough. Your pictures look great!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Dave, I think you Aussies have some kind of elves that show up in the middle of the night to work on your airplanes! I remember the fast progress that Ross made on his as well -looking good and at this pace you be chasing Roos in notime. Bruce N199CL

Looks really great Dave! Your build log has been really helpful to me. At the rate you work, you'll stay well ahead of me, and I'm happy to let you blaze the trail before me.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

It appears in the photo that you did in fact flatten the aft corners of the Acrylic. You are likely going to need to bend them back up or they are going to be obstructing the wing as it folds back. I Understand the concern as when I received mine the first thing I did was call the manufacturer to inquire about the bent up corners. It might help people out if they would mention it in the instructions.

Wow, you are flying already (without leaving the ground). I'm going to blame my much slower progress on our thinner air in Denver.
    I would be curious about what you come up with for sealing your boot cowl. It does look like you have a nice smooth top edge to your firewall that should make it much easier than it would be with the fluted factory edge on my firewall.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon