Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 912 engine preheater

Default Re: 912 engine preheater

Herman, you might give my "milkhouse" heater system a try. It is 1500 watts, quite a bit more than the 150 watt block strip heaters. A half hour at 1500 watts may do more than you think. I realize that all 1500 watts of hot air is not going into the block, but still it is quite a bit of heat circulating thru the engine compartment.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have done more experimenting with engine preheating using Kats engine block heating strips from Amazon and have settled on the best combination for my application.
    Jim.

I am too impatient to wait for a heater even if it only took only a 1/2 hour before flight.

These self adhesive strips are 2" x 5", produce 50 watts each and cost $18 each.
    I started with 2 strips on the bottom of the 912ULS and 1 on the oil tank.
    This gave 112 degrees oil temp before start up and the 912 starts and idled like I had just turned it off.
    I cover the cowl with a quilt and it feels almost too warm.

I disconnected one of the engine heaters and the cowl felt noticeably less warm and the oil temp read 96 degrees before start up and it started perfect.

Then I disconnected the oil tank heater and the next day the cowl felt barely warm with only one block heater, the oil temp was 76 degrees and it was hard to start. Just like it is when I do not preheat.
    Hard to start to me means the starter acts like it is up against a wall and it takes several attempts to start.

I went back to 2 heaters and am making a dedicated extension cord to power these strips that add up to 100 watts.
    The extension cord will have a 3 amp fuse on the hot leg of the cord.
    If I am doing the math correctly, 100 watts only requires about 1 amp of current so I am going to a low amp fuse to reduce the chance of fire if there were to be a short.

I especially like the fact that the engine gets up to take off temperature in 2 minutes instead of 10 or more and we had a rare snow here today.
    I can use a cell phone activated switch if I pre plan a flight by 6 hours instead of leaving the heaters on full time.
    Herman
    Last edited by herman pahls; 01-02-2017 at 08:08 PM.

I went ski flying Sunday. It was about 25º F here when I started preheating with my "cube on a stick" system. After about 30 minutes I got bored waiting and fired up the plane.

I was showing about 70º F on the Dynon for oil temp at startup and no issues starting. I do have the low compression Zipper kit on my engine, so that does make starting easier.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If you want to make it easier to start, I would recommend a oil tank heater and a strip heater on the bottom of the engine. If you diet the oil warm, it will flow thru the oil ports easier. I put a set of strip heaters on and it really helps. I also added an oil thermostat which reduces the time to warm up.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi guys
    Not sure if this is the proper thread but I just tried an experiment this morning when cold starting a mid 90's 912 UL.
    The ac is stored in an unheated hanger so I always throw a sleeping bag over the cowal and blow heat in through the front airducts untill the engine cylinders feel a bit warm. Usually takes 45 mins or so depending on outside temperature. Today it about 5 C so I didn't apply much heat.
    The engine cranked over just fine but never fired once,
    I then used a heat gun and applied heat directly to the modules until they were quite warm.
    Engine fired immediately! !
    Not sure why but as someone mentioned before maybe some of these older modules need a bit of a warm up before they make juice.
    Would anyone else like that experiment with this!!!!
    -Cheers
    Don

When I get another plane I'm going to get a real heater.
    https://aerothermheaters.com/
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Any experience with the REIFF engine heater? Has pad for bottom of crankcase and band for oil tank. has a thermostat which is good.
    Comments appreciated before I call Spruce. Jeff

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I use the Reiff 150 watt. Works good. Needs to be plugged in for a few hours . Use an insulated cowl cover to keep the heat in.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I have the same unit, same comments. Works well.

I looked at the company Paul Z recommended.
    I bought one. It will be here in a few days and I"ll report on my happiness or lack of it.
    Seems that the idea of heat soaking the whole compartment and recirculating the air every 3 or 4 seconds will answer the problem of condensation in my unheated hangar. The safety features and thermostatic control give me confidence that I won't be sweeping up any Kitfox shaped ash heaps.