Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Buying used used engines

Default Buying used used engines

I am looking to buy a used 912uls or 914. I suspect that it is a lot like buying a used car. What precautions can I take to try to avoid being taken? I saw a rebuilt 914 for $9000 and suspect that the $28000 engine has had some issues. How does anyone know it is a sound engine or that is was rebuilt correctly? I saw a 220hour 912uls for sale “no prop strike” and the owner is selling a damaged ultralight. Sounds like a good deal, but again, I am a novice at this.

How does one buy a used engine?

Default Re: Buying used used engines

I bought a used 914. It had 74 hours on it after a rebuild and then had an accident at involved a prop strike. The owner was going to rebuild the plane and sent the engine to rotech for a full inspection. He gave me the invoice where I could see all the work that was done after the strike. I felt good about it and bought the engine.

Long story short it’s a little difficult. Ideally they will have maintenance records you can go over, the last few oil sample analysis, or the invoice from a reputable shop after a rebuild.

Talking to people you can get a good idea how much of a BSer they are. Ask questions that were answered by the ad and see if their story differs. For 9000 bucks it’s hard to go wrong. Even if you sent it to LEAF or rotech right away and had them do an inspection.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I recall that Lockwood Aviation sells used 912 and 914's pretty reasonable after they go through it. I recall they even provide a warranty. That's the safest approach to making your purchase low risk in my opinion. Plus they will have all updates on engine done.

But since I've never even heard of anyone getting a bad used 912, even buying from a private party is likely to be a low risk endeavor. The 912 is a very reliable and durable engine.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have a 912 ULS that is for sale. It had a tear down inspection , repair at Rotech Motor Ltd. Vernon B.C.

Private Message if interested.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW