Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reaming

Default Reaming

Just got home with the kit and am ready to start working. I read the Builders Tips section and now have some questions.

I am going to start with the horizontal stabilizer. The first page is reaming bushings and tabs. The Builders Tips, it says to put the shank through the bushing and attach the T handle, then ream the hole (helps keep the reamer centered). The tabs have two ears. Do I put the shank throgh both and then ream one hole, then back out the reamer and reverse it and do the other ear? Or can I just ream through both ears in one pass?

My concern is that by reaming both in one pass, I might cause one of the holes to be oversized. I have never needed to ream before and do not know if this is a concern.

Headed down to Home Depot to get a T handle and the auto parts store for the plugs to wash out the fuel tanks.

Steve

Default Re: Reaming

Hey Steve, I did it in one pass and had no over sizing
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

The reamer cutting flutes are long enough that when you pull it thru to ream the second tab it will still be engaged with the first tab. This keeps it lined up; just make sure you don't put a side load on the T handle as you pull it all the way thru. Don't stress; it works fine.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The horizontal tail hinge bushings (7) are supposed to be reamed to .4375. The reamer fits through the holes already with no cutting. Problem, or normal?

Steve

Normal. A lot of the time the reaming is just to clean out the powder coat
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Good to hear. It didn’t even cut the powder coat. Wasn’t sure if that meant it would be too sloppy when assembled.

I would hope that John McBean takes note of this. It is a touch on the sloppy side and shouldn't be coming that way from the factory.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If the bushings are a little sloppy, then you can ***** punch the bore in several places and use Locktite to secure them.

If Im clear on what we are talking about then all should work out just fine. My bushings had to be sized down with regard to the outer diameter and the inner diameter that receives the bearing had to be sized up. I would think that after you clean out the powder coat your bushing should fit and you may even need to size it down a bit.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    If Im clear on what we are talking about then all should work out just fine. My bushings had to be sized down with regard to the outer diameter and the inner diameter that receives the bearing had to be sized up. I would think that after you clean out the powder coat your bushing should fit and you may even need to size it down a bit.
    Eddie
    I haven’t gotten that far yet. I am on day 2 of the build and just did the reaming on the horizontal stabilizer and elevator. The .4375 holes mentioned earlier didn’t even give up any powder coat when reamed. Didn’t seem right to me and was wondering if that was normal. I do remember reading about some of the bushings being difficult to get pressed in, but I am not at that point in the build so I don’t know about it.

Steve