Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning to fly a Kitfox - Lessons Learned

Default Learning to fly a Kitfox - Lessons Learned

Hi TeamKitfox! Now I know why everyone loves their Kitfox! I just passed my checkride yesterday in Delta Whiskey, who I bought from builder Dan in Phoenix. During my checkride, crosswinds on RWY150 were 21012g16kts. No stress there! Delta Whiskey has a 100hp 912 Rotax, so it is a rocket. Now that I have my license I want to share some of my experiences with others considering getting their light sport license, buying their first airplane and learning to fly a Kitfox:

1. You can pretty much learn everything you need to know to build, maintain, repair and fly a Kitfox in these forums. The forum is filled with pilot/builders who know these airplanes inside out. A wealth of knowledge.
    2. Not all CFI's know how to fly a Kitfox. The first time I flew Delta Whisky with my CFI, I was landing at 70mph. Then I read a bunch of posts here on the forum and now I can land at 34mph. When you start training in a Kitfox, have a binder of forum posts that tell you about Kitfox takeoffs, landings, handing characteristics, flaperon use, stalls, etc, etc. You and the CFI can use this information as a training guideline.
    3. The Kitfox is very docile to fly. Power on and off stalls are easy, no scary stuff happens. It floats when you put in flaperon. I think it makes an excellent first airplane because it is easy to fly, safe because it can land at very low speeds, climb like a rocket to get out of tight spots, while using 3-4 gallons per hour.
    4. Hanger space is a huge issue here in the greater Sacramento California area. Before you buy, you better figure out where you are going to keep it. I got lucky and found a half hanger that is perfect for a folding wing Kitfox. The easy 10 minute setup time is great https://youtu.be/DXBf57jZniU
    5. Switching from the Evector to the Kitfox halfway through flight training meant a lot more CFI hours to transition and learn how to fly the Kitfox. If you can, do all your training in your own airplane and save some money.
    6. Make your own POH. Mine is combination of Kitfox POH pages and my own custom pages, the information from various sources. It includes operating specifications and various other reference materials (Especially good for a newby pilot). You can fold pages in half and keep in protective sleeves. https://photos.app.goo.gl/9NziiMdhEhUVzj4e9
    7. You will have some stressful moments while learning. Mine was my windy checkride and when my CFI accidently killed the engine twice on approach, a true "Dead Stick Landing" https://youtu.be/BKmL57jKHfQ
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Default Re: Learning to fly a Kitfox - Lessons Learned

George,
    Great post and even greater news about your successful completion. Your visit last week definitely highlighted the week. More fun times to come.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

My kitfox can also do this. I think it has to do with the idle stops on the carbs. Especially if they aren't synced they can have one still floating and when you pull on it the arm bends on one side allowing the other to essentially go lower and goes bellow idle RPM.

Just looked at the landing video, lots of float. What was the speed on short final? JImChuk

We were 80mph over the threshold, touchdown at 45mph, with no engine. My CFI did do a good job holding it steady just off the runway for a longgggg time. I aim for 55mph over threshold, and touchdown happens at 34 to 38mph. I use half flaperon only on final, because if I use flaperon on downwind and base I often end up high.
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

I’m curious about your binder of forum posts on techniques to fly a kitfox. Can you tell us more? I’m about to start my own kitfox training... thanks.

Did the engine stop because the throttle was pulled back too much?

I currently rent a C-172 and always pull the throttle all the way back to idle as soon as I'm crossing the threshold. Is that a big no-no with a Rotax engine?

Throttle stop brackets on the Rotax 912 are made of bent sheet metal. Pull too hard on the throttle and it can overpower the brackets and allow the engine into a low enough idle to stop the engine. I did it several times on my first flights. Learned not to pull too hard and all is well.

Once I put lighter throttle return springs on the carbs and that resulted in inadequate tension to counteract friction in the cables. I would get fairly regular engine stoppage after landing and once on short final. Going back to the original springs solved that problem.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    I’m curious about your binder of forum posts on techniques to fly a kitfox. Can you tell us more? I’m about to start my own kitfox training... thanks.
    On the Forum you can find a lot of discussion regarding how the kitfox flys, especially how to use flaperons, pattern speeds, forward slips, and other characteristics of the Kitfox. Read a lot of post and some of them are very educational and can be used as a guide to help you while you're learning how to fly your kitfox. Post regarding pattern speeds and how to use flaperons was very helpful to me.
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel