Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Getting started and determining your roadmap

Cool Getting started and determining your roadmap

Howdy everyone! I've been doing a lot of research and I'm at the planning phase of my project now. I originally looked into Vans, Zenith and Sonex and even attended a builder's workshop at Sonex. In the beginning I had discounted the Kitfox planes because they are tube and fabric and I somehow thought my plane had to be metal to be a safe and quality aircraft. But upon doing further research I've determined that the Kitfox really fits my mission so much better than anything else out there.

My mission: Safety first- a cross-country flyer that is easy to build and inexpensive to opperate/maintain. I also really like the STOL concept and I believe this adds a lot of safety because It gives you a LOT more landing options should there be an engine-out. Plus the record of structural stability of the Kitfox planes is incredibly impressive. I want a plane that is fun and something I can use to travel and explore.

Another mission consideration: I do like the idea of something that can be a fun family plane, the Kitfox having only two seats doesn't seem like a good option for that, but when you consider that you could build and fly two for the price of a 4-seat kit plane from Vans, Zenith, etc. I think I would strongly consider building a second if it becomes something my family enjoys flying as well, thus fulfilling that aspect of my mission.

The folding wings is a neat plus, and the ease of conversion is awesome! (For example being able to change out the wing, or convert from tri-gear to tail dragger). These to me are a nice icing on the cake.

Here's my question:

The plane I am looking at is the Kitfox S7 Super Sport, but I'd be interested in input regarding other Kitfox planes as well.

I'm wanting to put together a roadmap of my project (and thinking in terms of budgeting as well). I know many people purchase the entire kit at once. But I believe I'd like to work on mine piecemeal. This is primarily for cash-flow purposes. I'd like to be budgeting for future purchases meanwhile having the current piece to be working on. Is there anyone out there who has had experience building their plane in segments (eg. wing kit, fuselage, gear, firewall forward, etc.) and is there a logical order to doing it this way? I would think it might make sense to start with the wings, then get the fuselage next.

I've found a few build logs online, but a lot of what I found are incomplete or are still in progress. I don't suppose there is an index anywhere of online completed build logs? (That would be so helpful!) I'd love to get links to some of your favorite build resources, if you have any. I'd be good to have a complete picture of the whole build process, the order of phases, and what to expect at each step.

Time is my greatest resources. I want to make sure I make good use of it all! Thanks in advance!

-Justin

Default Re: Getting started and determining your roadmap

I built mine piecemeal;wings first then fuselage (these two can be done in any order), landing gear, firewall fwd, then avionics. Works fine this way. Then you don't have an engine or avionics sitting around for several years getting obsolete, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I built mine piecemeal;wings first then fuselage (these two can be done in any order), landing gear, firewall fwd, then avionics. Works fine this way. Then you don't have an engine or avionics sitting around for several years getting obsolete, etc.
    Great! Thanks for the input! And that definitely does make a lot of sense about saving the avionics and engine for last to save them from becoming obsolete.

Fortunately my stuff is still the very current Garmin G3X, 912is. I made those purchase at the time of the Kit. Im near completion 2.5 years later. You comment about having lots of time available to a build. You could be done in 1 year and Ive heard people do it in less than that. I am not retired and I am raising two teenagers. Even so, I could have finished this already, even 2 as early as 22 months under those circumstances. So, it sounds like you could consider buying the whole deal at once and avoid possible build delays while waiting months for something to arrive from Austria or someplace.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    So, it sounds like you could consider buying the whole deal at once and avoid possible build delays while waiting months for something to arrive from Austria or someplace.
    Eddie
    I have considered that. And you're right that it would speed up the actual build by getting everything in at the start of the project. My thinking is that I could have 2-3 years to set aside $60k or thereabout, and I could be building meanwhile. I would think that if I get all the money saved up first, make the purchase, then build my plane it would take longer.

Granted, that doesn't account for time lost due to the inefficiency of not having what I need when I need it. And you may very well be right that I'd be ahead by making the entire purchase all at once.

Granted granted, I could be devoting more time to work projects if I'm not building for those first 2-3 years, and I could potentially earn the money faster. So it might be that I'd be ahead that way as well.

I guess another consideration is if I build it piecemeal, and if I get $6k into the project (by starting with the wings) and discover building an airplane just isn't working out for me or my family, then I'm only out $6k. And at that point I could look into purchasing a prebuilt aircraft. I don't really see that happening. I love construction projects and I definitely anticipate having a lot of fun with this project, but there is always an element of uncertainty as with anything in life.

I feel like I'd like to dive into the actual building sooner than later. My hope is that I could be budgeting my money and building at the same time. But if it'd just prolong the building process and make me frustrated for months at a time not being able to progress, then it really would make more sense to get it all at once even if I have to wait. It'd be easier to stay motivated if I've got at least some aspect of hands-on building to start with.

I really appreciate your input on this. I will give more consideration to purchasing the entire kit at once.

I count more things in your reply that suggest a piecemeal build would be more appropriate. I didnt mean to suggest many of your parts are going to take months to recieve. The engine was the lengthiest wait, next was all the Garmin stuff in my panel and that was only 4 weeks. Checking with the engine and avionics sales folks early in the build will help you understand how soon to order those.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

As Eddie said, you can check with the manufacturers and get a good idea of lead time on each of the upcoming things you will need. Then as I got into the build I could gauge roughly how long it would be until I was ready for the next items, so I ordered them ahead so they would arrive when I needed them. I never waited for anything in my piecemeal build. Wait! there was one item-the interior kit that the factory misjudged the lead time and I did have to wait a few weeks for that one. It takes a little more planning and looking ahead to make this work efficiently, but is definitely doable and does spread the cost out over several years.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I suggest cutting that $60K in half. About half to the kit purchase, and then later on the other half to the engine and avionics.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind