Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PPG primer and paint specs and source

Default Re: PPG primer and paint specs and source

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I agree. My poly tone could be applied by a three year old and it looks great. Ive repaired some that got over spray and you can't tell. What is missing? Gloss. Sure there are products and techniques (more $$) to get gloss out of it but its not like the PPG or Endura. I have a color chip of Endura that I got from Oshkosh. It was a business card they handed out. Man, its pretty.
    Eddie
    To gloss, I'd add durability, and chemical resistance. The Poly Fiber manual does a pretty good job describing the tradeoffs. I sprayed a light coat of Poly-tone white under my Aero-thane orange to ensure color consistency. I used a mild paint cleaning solvent between coats, and it took the Poly-Tone off of some of the high spots. Fuel will stain it readily if you don't keep it waxed.

If you're really pinching pennies in your build, or you plan to operate your plane such that you anticipate making fabric repairs often, Poly-Tone is the obvious choice. Otherwise, the urethanes hold up better. I'm more interested in what advantages PPG offers over Aero-thane and Ranthane, which are formulated for fabric, plenty glossy, and cost less than half as much. I suppose color selection is one advantage.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I bought 4 gallons of Aerothane for my SS7 and only used 2.5. Could have done it in 2 gallons if I was a better painter.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I believe the paint is PPG Desothane 8800, and that you can buy it through Kitfox. John McBean showed me a 8-10" rubber play ball coated in the stuff, and it was amazing how flexible it was. You could put a 1" deep, 3" diameter dimple in the ball without any hint of the paint wanting to crease or crack.

I didn't request pricing at the time, so you'll have to contact Kitfox to see, but I think it's more than $500/gallon.
    I am checking with Debra about this. John told me that it takes less coats with PPG and in the long run is less costly. I've used PolyFiber products before and am comfortable with them but, if fewer coats are necessary then it should be lighter and take less time to complete however; I do consider PolyFiber less detrimental to your health than the Desothane, at least after looking at the MSDS of both. If the factory built planes are using Desothane then I think it's worth consideration.

As far as fewer coats being lighter, I'm not sure. I think it will depend a lot on how much of either one evaporates off. If nothing evaporates, it won't loose any weight, were as if 75% evaporates then that gallon will end up only weighing 1/4 of what it started off as. Also, if nothing evaporated, that would help it cover in less coats. (hypothetically speaking) Not arguing, just thinking out loud. JImChuk

IMG_2419.jpg
    I paint mine last week with aerothane
    Very gloss...im very happy with the result

JFQUEBEC, Are you putting the Maple Leaf on that plane?
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I like the invasion stripes. Looks good jean-francois.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I made some paint sheme with the ww2 rcaf roundel but it's look better with star and bar

Single stage polyurethane. Very flexible...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Is the Desothane fuel proof or at least resistant? I don't believe Polytone is. Neither is the Stewart's.