Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: airspeed indicator

Default Re: airspeed indicator

even a relatively small round gauge than read the much smaller numbers on a digital readout.
    Not to be argumentative, but here is a to scale comparison for reference both 2-1/4":

Altimeter Comparison.jpg

Quick glance to exact number. Quick flip flop to knots.
    Last edited by Danzer1; 01-13-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Ken & Lowell,

Good points on the ATC question......this is more about operations than instruments but they are certainly connected.

Very familiar with the instruction to "Keep the speed up"....I get that more with the kitfox than I did with the Arrow ....

I have also found that tower controllers appreciate a pilot of a kitfox category airplane voluntarily stating they will "maintain cruise speed descent to the runway and land on the last 1/4 of the runway...a pretty easy task when a Kitfox is confronted with a 12,000' runway when things are tight.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but...
    I agree that one can become accustomed to a digital readout, but studies have clearly shown that a needle in reference to a constant background is intuitively understood at a glance. That is why in autos with analog gauges, the normal readings are usually with the needle centered virtically (or horizontally), typically with no numbers. Deviation from normal is understood even by the kids in the back seat. In our gauges, add in the colored speed range arcs and numbers no longer have significance because with a little practice, a quicker glance shows exactly where you are in respect to critical airspeeds and this will apply regardless of who's airplane you are flying. Maybe a better example of the intuitive read of a needle is the VSI. Much easier to understand than a number with a + or - preceeding it.

I can see going digital if you have a fuel flow system that calculates fuel burn and hours left in the tank, but for me the pilot, I prefer something more intuitive than a number that needs my brain to interpret.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

land on the last 1/4 of the runway...a pretty easy task when a Kitfox is confronted with a 12,000' runway when things are tight.
    1/4 of 12,000'? That's 3,000' right. We can all land several times in that distance.

I just tell them I'll land long and exit at the first taxiway. They like it.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos