Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 oil sender supply?

Default 912 oil sender supply?

I can't find anyone of the big suppliers who have the 912 oil sensor for a quad gauge from Westach. they are out until oct 20. Any ideas where I can buy one. the thread size is specific too. I bought a part that had fine threads, oops, wrong part.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 912 oil sender supply?

I got a call from a supplier this A.M. Problem solved. Thanks.

Glad to hear.
    I read your post and remembered I had some old Westach gauges in my garage I took off my model 3 years ago. I found the senders but they looked completely different than the one you photographed.
    The wires were not in great shape either.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Where did you find the sensor available?

Thanks,
    Stan Specht
    Model IV 912 80 hp

Talking Re: 912 oil sender supply?

Long story, but the short answer is, the one I ordered was the last one in stock and it got lost in transit. The supplier tracked it down and overnighted it to me. I should have it today. I'm starting the engine reinstallation today. I'll race Beerboats cause our planes appear to be in about the same condition, except for the cobwebs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The engine start went well except for the oil pressure reading in the cockpit. the westach quad gauge said 20 PSI but the norm in that plane has always been 40 plus. So I shut down and ran a direct gauge to it. Got 60 psi immediately so its a gauge or sensor problem. I'll check grounds tomorrow but will probably in the market for a sender. I hope its not the quad gauge. if it is, i won't be able to fix it. I'll be looking for alternatives besides sitting on the ground for another two years.

if you find you need a quad indicator , I have a friend that has one that he removed from his speedster when he installed the Grand Rapids eis .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I'll post a pic later of the direct gauge to the cockpit. I think the sender is bad so I'll be in the market for one of those, but not at 189 bucks, The direct gauge gives me real data if a little utilitarian in appearance.

I decided not to post a pic. the pic would be an ugly oil spattered engine and a very frustrated and confused pilot/owner/halffast mechanic.
    the line I installed goes from the pump to the cockpit … period. it read 60 psi.
    So DID THE DISCONNECTED (DID I SAY DISCONNECTED) Westtach quad gauge!!!!! The new gauge read MAX pressure 80plus at start. As the engine heated up and the temps began to climb, I noticed a slight drop in my new gauge then it continued to drop, then I saw some oil splatters on the door, then I smelled burning oil. the engine was off and I was out of the plane fire extinguisher in hand. The line was leaking at the pump connection, I realized the line was a 50PSI hose. This is bad. That max pressure is 107 by the book. so back to the parts store tomorrow to get high pressure hose. and degreaser, and some shop towels, and ….. the saga continues.

It's fixed.