Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Alternator problem

Default Alternator problem

I am in need of help for my alternator problem. I have a Franklin on a model V that is close to being finished but my alternator is not "alternating". It reads 0 on the amp gauge. I have a Vision Microsystem engine monitor. The alternator came on the engine and I can not find any brand or markings on it. The paperwork says to hook up the wire to the connector marked which I have done. It also says it contains an internal regulator. I have a 4 guage wire coming off the alternator thru the monitor supplied by Vision connected to my main electrical bus. The wire running to the alternator comes from the alt side of the master switch with the other side of the master switch going to ground. I do not find a ground connector on the alternator. Can anyone see an obvious flaw in my wiring? I am following the limited plans supplied.

Default Re: Alternator problem

A schematic and pictures might help us.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Skonie,
    Are you feeding a field current to the alternator? Is that the wire running to the alternator you mentioned? Field current is required to create the magnetic field in the alternator so it can do its thing.

-- Paul S

Just an update on my alternator problem. I was away from home for a while but when I got back I checked the wiring as Paul S suggested and although it took a while to track it I found that it was wired wrong. I changed the wiring around and it works perfectly. Thank you all for your help.