Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Estimating time to re-engine model IV

Default Estimating time to re-engine model IV

Dear Kitfox folks,

I'm new here. A very trusted and skilled A&P friend has a Kitfox IV Speedster, N43RN, with a currently inoperative VW engine, and a Rotax 912ULS in good condition that was taken off a rental fleet. He has offered me the combination as a project plane, such that I could do the engine swap under his supervision. The aircraft was registered with a 1200 pound gross weight. It is a taildragger with the spring gear.

What is the expected labor to do the engine swap, assuming the rest of the plane is in god condition (which, again, it is -- it was recently flying and was checked out for its annual by the same A&P)? It would require complete re-do FWF, a new cowling, and wiring of the engine instruments.

I am mechanically inclined and I know a little bit about electrical work and electronics, but I am not (yet) knowledgeable about engines. To get an idea of what I do, here are some of my projects:

https://goo.gl/photos/98bHq2jrhLNGig8f7

https://goo.gl/photos/XEssmfxDWBRK6L8Y8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FF04LV8nGri5sxhf1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0NpzLoSHrF2RXYlD3

https://goo.gl/photos/CtPswuCfg8tgvn5Z6

http://airball.aero/

Ihab Awad
    San Jose, CA (KRHV)
    Last edited by ihab; 12-18-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Default Re: Estimating time to re-engine model IV

Ihab,

I re-did most of the FWF on my7, less the cowling. I rewired, everything, installed a new panel, I refurbished my mounts sandblasted powder coated and painted. sometimes refurbishment takes longer than installing new. I think invarialbly you will go down a rabbit hole or two. I think the key is it takes what it takes, no rushing enjoy the time. It will depend largely on how much time you can spend in a day. if you only have an hour or two now and then it will take much longer than if you spend larger chunks of time focused. I would say month and half to two months working 8-12hrs a weekend if you keep it minimal double that if you start replacing entire systems. I rewired everything but my radio and transponder, painting the panel and labels can eat up time depending on fit and finish. One aspect that takes time for a project like this is parts ordering. 3-6 days for parts I would order parts on Sunday usually get them Thursday ready for the weekend. So keeping ahead of this is helpful. My bet is 2-3 months ready to go if you spend earnest weekend time. The trusty fellows on this site will help you get through some of the sticky points. Some of the Normal contributors have likely been there done that so help is available.

I'm a father of two active kids with basketball and birthdays so I get what I can when I can

I think you will be happy with the Kitfox so what ever time in the end will be well worth every minute.

Jared
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

How about four years? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yes it actually took me four years, but I sat around a lot and thought. If you do a lot less thinking I bet you could do it easily in four to six months at a very leisurely pace. the nice thing is that there's very little fab involved, unless you start "modifying" things. Most everything you need can be purchased from John. The only hang will be if your cowl needs modification. Mine had to be extended 2", so that added a little time.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Quote Originally Posted by PNWJARED View Post
    I re-did most of the FWF on my7, less the cowling. I rewired, everything, installed a new panel, I refurbished my mounts sandblasted powder coated and painted. ... I would say month and half to two months working 8-12hrs a weekend if you keep it minimal double that if you start replacing entire systems. I rewired everything but my radio and transponder, painting the panel and labels can eat up time depending on fit and finish. ... My bet is 2-3 months ready to go if you spend earnest weekend time. ...
    Thank you Jared. That's encouraging. My A&P friend is willing to rent me a spot in his hangar to work on the plane so, if the cost of that is not too huge, and I can do it at whatever pace I need, that might work quite well.

I have to say though -- with an older airplane, with the usual rat's nest of wires behind the panel, the urge to re-wire is very very strong. I may not be able to resist! That said, it may actually simplify things. Right now I'm dreaming about:

• Keep existing "standard" COM radio and Mode C xpdr

• Add uAvionics echoUAT bundle for ADS-B 2020 compliance and Wi-Fi data output to my EFB (iPad or whatever)

• Sell off everything else!

• Eventually install my Airball invention!

That would greatly simplify the wiring and make things nice and clean and compact, and save some weight. But it would also cost a couple $AMU above and beyond the bare-bones version that would re-use the existing VW engine instruments and standard altimeter etc.

We'll see. Thank you again!

Ihab

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buchanan View Post
    How about four years? *BWA*HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! (rubs cat gleefully)
    There, fixed that for you.

Yes it actually took me four years, but I sat around a lot and thought. If you do a lot less thinking I bet you could do it easily in four to six months at a very leisurely pace. the nice thing is that there's very little fab involved, unless you start "modifying" things. Most everything you need can be purchased from John.
    That's encouraging. I have a hard time under-overthinking but maybe I can pay my A&P friend to slap me if I overdo it.

The only hang will be if your cowl needs modification. Mine had to be extended 2", so that added a little time.
    Cool -- do you think "mine" would? You seem to have the exact same configuration I would be creating except for what appears to be a constant-speed prop (if I read your signature correctly...). Does the cowl need stretching to fit on a IV?

Ihab

Airball... that's why your name looked familiar.

Also, paying for space to work might motivate you to work faster!

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Airball... that's why your name looked familiar.
    Oh dear....

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Also, paying for space to work might motivate you to work faster!
    "We Egyptians always have whipping while we work."

https://goo.gl/9r967A

(Asterix is awesome.)

Ihab

When I converted my Avid Flyer from ,582 Rotax to a Jabiru, it was about a month and a half from flying with one to flying with the other. I was retired by then though. Also had another plane to fly. Rewired everything then as well. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    .... it was about a month and a half from flying with one to flying with the other. I was retired by then though.
    Thanks that's a good reference point! Yeah ... being retired would make all the difference. I wish!

Ihab