Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe someone isn't on "The Map"

Default Maybe someone isn't on "The Map"

Good evening folks - I just placed my order for a 7SS and am looking forward to starting the building process. It will be a while before before the factory starts on it though and between now and then it would be nice to be able to take a really close look at a fairly recent build and get opinions on 2 or 3 options I'm considering.

So - I checked the map in hopes of finding hundreds of builders close to me but that didn't work out so well. Just in case there is someone near by (I'm about 50 miles west of Washington, DC) that isn't on the map I thought I'd post this.

Anyone???

Looking forward to getting to know many of you as I bombard this forum with builder's questions - thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Darrel

Default Re: Maybe someone isn't on "The Map"

Welcome Aboard Darrel. You'll find a lot of help here.
    Eddie

Congrat. Darrel. You will enjoy the build process which leads to owning and flying an incredible aircraft. It will be a life changing journey. All positive.
    Glad you found us too. Welcome aboard.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

What options are a maybe for you? I’m no where close to you but maybe we can add our .02
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Hello,

I am north of DC in Marysville, Pa. I would guess 1.5 hours or so north of you. I am building an SS7 with wings ready to cover, working on the fuselage at this time.

Esser - right now I'm wondering about the heater, bubble doors and light weight brake pedals.

Heater - how well does it work (and, I normally don't fly in REALLY cold weather) and how does it work (coolant from the cooling system or muff on the exhaust or ??) Weight?

Bubble doors - do they significantly add to down visibility? Easily scratched and spoil the good looks after a few years? Strength, weight????

Brake pedals - is there something in addition to the weight savings that should go into the decision?

Thanks, Darrel

Flybyjim - PM sent.

Dew,
    The heater works using engine coolant thru a heater core, just like your car, with two fans blowing down toward your feet. No fans ON=little or no heat, one fan=moderate heat, both fans=really good heat. No danger from CO. Weight maybe 5-6 lbs.
    Bubble doors definitely do allow more straight down vision. They are plexiglass so they don't scratch as easily as Lexan, but you do need to be careful. Weight about same as any other door system, maybe a little more. They look real cool too.
    Optional brake pedals save very little weight; the cool look is main advantage. You can get the same look and non-slip with self adhesive non-slip material.

I'm sure there are other opinions.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Darrel, the heater from Kitfox Aircraft does indeed use the coolant for safe heat like our automobiles do.

Bubble doors are great for more shoulder room and do make downward viewing easier. More for pilot and passenger comfort I would say. They are as durable as the standard doors. Nice option. You can get them tinted as well.

The light weight pedals are lighter but also the way they lighten them gives more traction for your feet. An added bonus. I have these pedals.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I didn’t get the heat cause I wasn’t sure what engine I was getting. Now I’m ordering the heater.

The dimple died pedals weren’t an option but I might have gotten it as it’s more grip on your feet. It probably only saves a few ounces.

I have the bubble doors. They are super nice. I mostly got them so I had an arm rest for long flights. This is also something that could be added later very easily.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3