Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiring A builder?

Default Re: Hiring A builder?

(These comments pertain to EAB's in the U.S. Canada actually has easier rules on this)

No, you can't legally hire someone to build an amateur built plane. BUT, if you are the person that "finishes" building the plane (even the last 2% of the project), after an inspection by a DAR you will receive an airworthiness certificate for your new plane (assuming it is safe and built well enough to pass the inspection). And if you can prove you know something about the build and how to maintain it, if you apply for it you most likely can get a repairman certificate for it as well.

This has been done countless times with experimental amateur built aircraft. Many, many of the original builders give up on airplane projects they started. Sometimes there are numerous builders before the last guy finishes it and registers it. Think about it, if that weren't true no one would ever buy a "project" as it would only be good for parts, right?

I have literally seen a guy bolt a prop on, connect the battery, then call the inspector, and not only get the AW certificate, but also the repairman. Everything else was done by others before him on the plane. Best part, he did that exact thing on 3 planes I knew of (he had a wealthy older friend that loved to build planes but wasn't much of a flier, and didn't want any builders liability, so they both had a pretty good arrangement).

The 51% rule applies to how much of the plane is fabricated by the builder, or builders. That doesn't mean one person has to build 51%, as many seem to think.

Sometimes I swear we are our own worse enemy. People work out deals all the time to have more experienced builders help them put together an airplane. And I sure don't have an issue with that. That is between the owner and the other guy as far as I'm concerned. And frankly, those planes are many times some of the nicest built, safest homebuilts out there.

My final thoughts, consider finding multiple people to help you. One guy to assemble airframe, another to cover and paint, another to do engine and panel, and another to do interior, etc, etc. Not everyone has time to build a whole plane start to finish, but if you "general" it out like people do building a house, you might even find it to be a fun project to oversee.

Ok, squeezing into my flame-proof suit now.... (haven't had it on in a while )

thanks @av8rps. Some very valid points about people buying partial builds etc.

The idea of finding several people is also good as not only are some people often better at different areas, it just adds more eyes on the project and potential issues. (at least I would hope so).

I hope I can find a few in my area.

There are a lot of great aircraft mechanics that sometimes are looking fo part time, fill in work if you can't locate some experienced recreational builders.

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post

Ok, squeezing into my flame-proof suit now.... (haven't had it on in a while )
    I have helped with two projects. Finishing a series V doing the panel, engine install and wiring - registered by the owner. Helped an owner across the street build a Lancair IV. I being retired did most of the work on the fuselage ,landing gear and wings. Owner did the engine install and panel. Registered in his name.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

And knowing Lowell like we do, I'll bet both planes ended up to be high quality, no compromise builds.

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    And knowing Lowell like we do, I'll bet both planes ended up to be high quality, no compromise builds.
    Thanks Paul, But truth be told, it can be something like a curse. In dental school we had an instructor Dr. Nguyen T. Nguyen. I think of him a lot and maybe way too much. The only thing I really remember about him is an often-heard phrase in his Vietnamese twang – “Dooit Ower!” One other thing they often say about dentists, that because every single procedure in their work day has a definite beginning and a definite end – the last bit of polish or the very last suture – they rebel when not on the job. They are never ever able to really finish anything. So on and on it goes.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

OH I get it now.
    your sign off at the bottom also says "just one more thing..."
    Last edited by efwd; 12-15-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: incorrect

I'm still betting the planes turned out great

This thread has brought back some really good memories. One thing in particular might merit mention. When helping with the Lancair, I was lurking on a builders forum similar to ours here as I was looking for tips and hints in the building process. One really striking post was from a guy who, I guess, Liked to research the web. Going to the NTSB Aviation Accident Database and searching for accidents related to the Lancair IV, he found that the airiplane had an "Attrition Rate" of over 20% with the majority involving fatalities. As soon as I read that, I determined that I would not accept the inevitably offered ride until Brad had at least 500 hours. Wisely, Brad hired a pilot from the factory to fly the first five hours and then check him out in the airplane before he continued the Phase 1 testing. And here to the gist of the story. The test / check pilot gave Brad some words to "Live" by. As I recall, it was something like this. "At Cameron Park the pattern altitude is 1000 ft. Yours will be 1500 ft. At mid runway, on downwind, if you are not stabilized at 1500 ft. and at exactly your downwind speed - the number escapes me but short final was flown at 90 kts. - you must do a go-around". This Brad did wherever he was for not quite ten years before selling the airplane which is now in Mississippi. With his discipline in mind, I flew with Brad at about 150 hours with no reservations. This reminds me of Paul's verbally spoken checklist when flying with his Model IV on the amphibious floats. Simple things? Yes, but....
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I just meet with my local EAA chapter here today. It was great to meet a few members and just talk to some people in person who have built or are building. The will be a great resource I'm sure.

I have a few contacts now that might be able to help me out in this venture. The one thing I'm still missing is a testflight in a fox before making my final decision.

Thanks for the stories and comments.