Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring A builder?

Default Hiring A builder?

I'm just wondering if there are any resources or persons that could lead me to finding someone with prior experience building a kitfox - that's interested in building mine.

Realistically I just don't have time. I know you can get the SLSA factory built, but looking for alternatives as well.

Just looking at options.

Default Re: Hiring A builder?

Where are you located

Honestly you would be better off buying a used Kitfox when one comes available.

It takes 1200-2000 hours to build one. If you hire someone to build your plane it looks like the total cost would be northward of $100,000; you might as well buy a factory built SLSA.

Most of us who have building experience wouldn't have the time to build one, unless they are retired. The other problem is we are too busy flying the one we built.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

You most likely run into legal issues as well. Amatuer built doesn't mean professional built. And when you pay them, aren't they a professional? JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    You most likely run into legal issues as well. Amatuer built doesn't mean professional built. And when you pay them, aren't they a professional? JImChuk
    I agree. In Australia we have the 51% rule, which I think was started in the USA, meaning the owner must have contributed 51% of the time to the build for it to be classified as Amateur Built. If you get someone else to build it, they are the builder and therefore attract the liability that goes with it. As Phil suggested, maybe buy a factory built because the cost will be about the same.

That's my 2 cents worth ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

If you don't build it, get a used one or buy an SLSA you won't be able to do the condition inspections, which will require you to find and A&P or A&P-IA that is willing to do the inspection. This is an additional expense in the ownership of the plane.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

There is no ambiguity about whether or not you can pay someone to assemble your kit for you and then register it as amateur-built. You can't.

An amateur-built airplane is one: "the major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by person(s) who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation."

the inclusion of the word "solely" means any compensation to a third-party builder excludes the airplane from the definition of amateur-built. But hiring a builder is exactly what you do when you buy the SLSA.

Are there any KF dealers that offer a build assist type program? I am assuming that would leave the buyer as the 'builder of record'???

In Canada where the poster is from you can buy a used plane and still do all the maintenance yourself and you can hire a builder to work with
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks for the comments.

In Canada we don't have the 51% rule. I can register as amateur built as long as I am in control of the build process and make the decisions - I can have someone else build it.

If the perfect used one comes up (in Canada) then yes, I'd consider it. I don't want an SLSA one as the difficulties to register in Canada are big, and will have to have all checks and maintenance done by an AP. (as far as i currently understand).

There's always someone who has time and knowledge - it's just a matter of finding them.

Will it cost me - sure. But so does buying factory built. I'm not against paying. Time is money, and I have very little time to do the build fully myself. I would love to do it - don't get me wrong.

I've just fallen in love with this plane. It offers me everything I want.