Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quiet...

Default Quiet...

Wow it's quiet around here lately.

I'm stuck on the ground while recovering from hernia surgery so I'm looking to you guys to fill my airplane urges.

Hasn't someone got something to work on or go flying for??
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Quiet...

I thought the same thing too when I checked the forum just now.

I was hoping to fly yesterday but we have an inversion sitting in the Treasure Valley now. It could be MVFR for over a week. Maybe I can go in the patten later, it is currently 1500' overcast and 10 miles.

I did get some work done yesterday on another project I bought this summer. I purchased a Wag-Aero Sport Trainer (Cub replica) with an O-200 that needs completely going through and recovering. It was in pretty rough shape after being outside on wheels, floats and skis since it was new in 2003.

This isn't a Cub forum, but it might stir up a discussion. I am thinking about painting it in red, white and blue and not it Cub yellow (Freedom Cub ). Is that sacrilege?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

That happens this time of year. Holidays approach at mach 1 speed. Money for Av gas turns into money for presents. Shopping, traveling, holiday parties, end of year things you know.

Get well soon Larry. Hope the surgery went well and recovery is quick.

I had a status change on my Model 4 last month. It found a great new home up in Idaho. I guessing it will finally get that cockpit heater it never needed down here in Arizona.

Here are two photos sent to me about it's recent conversion to tail wheel configuration. I always wondered what the thing would look like with the little wheel on the other end. Pretty darn good I think. Should be a stellar back country machine. It's really amazing how versatile these Kitfox are.

IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

(You better update that signature, Steve.)

Surgery went fine. Routine. Just on light duty restrictions for the next couple weeks.

I'm going to bring the Mangy into the heated maintenance hangar for condition inspection in the next week or so and get that done. Probably switch back to the "small" tires for ski operations this winter.

It's sometimes cool to see your baby moving on into a new life. A little sad too... I'm sure Cade is going to have a great time with that plane. I got this photo of my "ex" the other day in his new home...

Dallas.jpg

The paint on the cub looks neat, Papua. Should be a fun project.

A buddy of mine is building a PA-11/J5 experimental Cub Cruiser right now. (That's the cub with a wide backseat) He's putting an O320 in it. He's the same guy who built an Avid-Kitfox hybrid a few years back (heavily modified Avid C fuselage with a Kitfox SS wing and control system)

Cub.jpg

Cub2.jpg
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'll take a stab at breaking the quietness.....

Here are some pretty cool pics from a flight the other night. This is a huge racetrack that they are using to store flooded cars from Hurricane Harvey. It takes months for the insurance companies to settle so they are just now starting to auction them off. I heard a rumor that movie companies from Hollywood buy up some that they use as props in movies so they can crash them up at a discount.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Wow, thats the biggest junk yard I have ever seen.
    Glad to see folks posting again.
    I will be finishing up the silver paint on the Struts today. Poly Tone is incredibly easy to get a good application with. On the flapperons I managed only one run that I will touch up today. I had sprayed the horizontal stabilizer carry through panels and obviously didn't get some oil or something off. Used MEK and it all came up like it was chocolate syrup with a Brawny towel. Started over. All fixed. My booth with fans is working sweet. I will likely get my wing tips painted and maybe engine cowl today. We will see.
    Eddie

I just changed the hard rubber tailwheel out for the pneumatic tire. I’ve wanted to do that for a long time.......it was kinda rough sounding on pavement. I stayed with the Maule wheel....just changed the fork out. Spruce has surplus Maule pneumatic wheels with 10” tires. Changed it out for the 8”.....and walla.....it was done. Flew it yesterday.......works great.....no shimmy. It is a half pound heavier...which is fine for this airplane.

Get well soon Larry......it almost flying season again up there(ha ha).
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

I’ve been waiting for a shipment from ACS since the 19th that is holding me up. I tidied up my CHT and EGT Harness and tried my hand at braiding to keep things neat. Other than that I’ve been sketching up multiple options for how I want to wire things.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Very nice, Josh!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here are a few of this weekends flying adventures. We stopped in for lunch at Pacific City on the Oregon Coast. Couldn't help but land at a couple of gravel bars on the way to the coast. It's beautiful flying in the NW when it's not raining this time of year. Hope the pictures help with the recovery Larry. Phil the high pressure inversion over there helps blow air down the Columbia River George to clear out the fog.

Scott
    20171210_103444.jpg
    20171209_134340.jpg
    20171209_133515.jpg
    20171209_101751.jpg
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7