Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model 4 verse the 7 ss

Default Re: Model 4 verse the 7 ss

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I know this is a different subject but how do you tie the plane down on the water? Is there a dock there? Would you trust it to leave it while you are gone? Is there a place to learn this information?
    I hunted with a guide in the arctic and he would leave his 185 just moored off shore with a line around the propeller shaft . It would bob out there for weeks in some of the most extreme wind and weather I have ever been in.
    I am very fortunate to be on a 7,000 acre lake that is perfect for seaplane flying, and to live on a penninsula that is very sheltered from wind to park my seaplane. Being a penninsula I have two docks to use when desired, but normally tie down the Kitfox in the shallow sand beach on the tip of the peninsula (see pic, but note I typically have ropes on wings too). To avoid concerns about bad weather I watch weather and take the Kitfox back to the hangar when it makes me feel better.

But for the record, I kept my straight float Avid Flyer at home all year round from 1987 until 1998...(see pic) tied down on the point in summer and tied down on the ice (on wheel skis) by my back dock in the winter. I flew an average of 250 hours a year by having my plane always at home, but having the option with amphibs to put the Fox in the hangar is really the best of both worlds. Concerns about storm damage, excessive UV damage to the fabric, bird and bug nests, etc are minimized.

I ran EAA's Seaplane Base for the last 14 years, which provided me with a lot of experience mooring seaplanes, as 90% of the seaplanes attending are put out on moorings. I've seen 70+ mph winds rip through that bay, and yet never saw a seaplane get damaged (but some airplanes tied down at airport did). A good mooring setup will work well to protect a seaplane in most any weather conditions. The concept is simple: Use a large concrete block with a stainless cable lead under the water in which you then attach a nylon prop bridle to so that the plane will weathervane into the wind, and when the wind kicks up waves the harder it blows the more it pulls the nose down, which spills all of the lift off the wing because the wing has negative incidence to the relative wind. So the only thing you really have to worry about is if the plane leaks you could sink. But of course there are ways to safe guard against that too. The easiest way is to park in shallow water, like Eaa's Seaplane Base mooring area has.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for the info. That explains how and why the Canadian guide moored it in those high winds.
    Where can I get the prop bridle?
    I too have the perfect lake a couple miles long but very remote hardly any boat traffic most days. I do not have any sandy place to pull it out though so I might build a ramp to drive it up. I have some work to do to get my sea plane rating so I put it back to wheels and I am looking for skis if you hear of any.
    I am having trouble getting a CFI that is current in the Kitfox is my next issue.

Sounds like you have a great plan to have a seaplane at home. But don't be surprised to learn that you may have to modify your plan a bit until you settle in with what works best.

As you know I'm not opposed to mooring. But even without a sand beach, if I had a shoreline that would allow a wood seaplane ramp that would be my preference in keeping my plane at the house. Just make sure you have nice sturdy tiedowns to keep it safely on the ramp. I use 4 ft long screw in steel anchors.

And a really cool thing about owning a folding wing plane is that you can fold the wings back and tie it down snug and it's not going to go anywhere. And if the winds were really, really a concern (as like a hurricane?), as an additional safety measure just fill the floats with water and your little Kitfox will now weigh as much as that small car in your driveway. With the Kitfox folded up, weighted down, and tied down, the car may blow away first

The wheel penetration skis Avid made work well for a Kitfox if you can find a set. There were some recently in forum classifieds. You can also make them a straight ski if you want, if you get really deep snow they will work better that way.

Hopefully you'll find the right instructor soon. Enjoy the training, you'll look back at it for most likely the rest of your life as a highlight. I do.

Thanks for the encouragement it seems like it is taking for ever to get it out of the shop. Every time we turn around we decide to upgrade something. Now the weather has gone to heck here.

I do have a place for a ramp. Would you tie it facing into the wind and back it onto ramp ?

For the skis I am leaning toward fabricating my own I have a guy on the KF facebook sending some dimensions and photos of ones he had made. When you do put it on skis does engine start ok at the lake?

Not much luck finding a local instructor to check me out on it. I am considering a trip to Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement it seems like it is taking for ever to get it out of the shop. Every time we turn around we decide to upgrade something. Now the weather has gone to heck here.

I do have a place for a ramp. Would you tie it facing into the wind and back it onto ramp ?

For the skis I am leaning toward fabricating my own I have a guy on the KF facebook sending some dimensions and photos of ones he had made. When you do put it on skis does engine start ok at the lake?

Not much luck finding a local instructor to check me out on it. I am considering a trip to Idaho.
    Try to just enjoy doing the upgrades and improvements work and it will go fast.

You can put a floatplane on ramp either direction. Whichever direction most of the wind will come from is the direction to put the nose into, with the tail high. That "spills off" most of the wing lift, giving it a lower potential for pulling out tie downs or breaking ropes. At my house I usually put the nose toward shore and the tail low as the wind usually blows in from the lake and not from shore.

The downside with tail low is potential of rust from water accumulating in lower tubes, but then again after decades of parking mine that way, I've not seen any rust. Of course, having drain grommets back there lets the water out, so that may be why I've not had any issues.

912's don't start well without preheat, wheras the 2 strokes thrive in cold weather. But either work well in ski flying conditions.
    Last edited by av8rps; 12-13-2017 at 05:51 PM.

So nose up toward shore and that will put the prevailing wind at its back.

What do you preheat with in cold weather?

I like two kinds of preheaters.

Typically at home an electric heater with flexible dryer duct attached to the fan side to blow warm air into cowl works well (put a cowl blanket over cowl to retain heat).

For when I'm away from home I like a small lp gas portable (E.g. a Mr. Heater with screw on lp cylinder) ducted the same way to the cowl as electric heater, but use a longer hose as now you have a gas flame and you don't need a flame too close to engine area. I keep that in baggage area only to use if needed. Typically a blanket over cowl will hold heat of engine long enough that you don't need to preheat when you are out flying around. But if you stay somewhere for an extended period you have a heater with you should you need it.

Thanks . That gives me some good ideas. I was gonna try heat light bulb for its in the hanger. I used to use a hundred watt bulb with tin foil on my 1960 chevy truck. It worked on some cold nights.

While I have you. Do you know where I can get information on making or buying the prop bridle? I am not finding much on it in the net.

Hmmm, somewhere in my piles of old SPB stuff, I think I have a copy of an article that one of the EAA SPB volunteers that made the bridles wrote to show others how to do it. Just not sure that I will be able to find?

Anyone here have the ability to search EAA Magazines for articles? If not, I can put you in contact with the guy that makes them for EAA SPB.