Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model 4 verse the 7 ss

Default Model 4 verse the 7 ss

I was wondering how the model 4 compares to the 7ss. I am new to kitfox and have flown the 7ss with the rotax 912 100hp engine. Wondering what you guys would prefer to buy and also the different flight characteristics.

Default Re: Model 4 verse the 7 ss

I have a model IV. (IV-1200 to be exact.) My previous plane was a model IV. (IV-1050) I have over 1000 hours in type. I have flown the models V-VIISS on a couple of occasions, which are all very similar, varying with minor details.

IMO - The V through the current SS are a much more "mature" and "refined" airplane compared to the earlier models. My airplanes, though very well built, do not have the designed in finish of the later model Kits. Things like the way the doors are designed to seal, the way the cowlings are made, the improved panel design all show the improvements made over my plane.

The flying qualities of the newer planes are more stable, in a word, heavier. That's not to say they are boring like a Cessna, S7 Rans or a Crylander, (which I all have flown) far from it. They are still very sporty handling, but heavier than my IV is.

A newer Kitfox is like a modern sports roadster. My IV is like a MG-A. Does that make sense?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That makes sense thanks!

I have always thought of the difference sort of like a dirt bike vs. A Honda Gold wing.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thinking of my response, I do wish the IV-1200 was still available as a kit. After losing my first IV, it was a long and hard search to find an uncompleted IV to get me going again. Yes, I used to own a dirt bike - Montessa.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I personally would say Dirt Bike vs Dual Sport...

And the IV IS still available.. mostly by special order and mostly being bought by the overseas market due to the lower gross weight requirements.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    I personally would say Dirt Bike vs Dual Sport...

And the IV IS still available.. mostly by special order and mostly being bought by the overseas market due to the lower gross weight requirements.

That sounds better. Dirt bike vs. Gold Wing had me thinking: "Who wants to ride a Gold Wing?" Yawn........

Using the dirt bike/dual sport analogy, is it correct to say that for short hops and pasture strips a Model IV may actually be the better option?

"Dirt bike vs. dual sport" sounds like a good comparison to me. The model IV may have slightly better performance, but I suspect that is only because of the lighter gross weight. However, I have yet to hear of anyone say that the 7SS can't get in and out of anyplace that the model IV can. The model 7SS has more refinement and comfort for longer trips. Other than price and availability (of used or unfinished kits), I would think the newer 7SS is the better choice.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Well, speaking as an authority, the IV is certainly a much better looking airplane. And, being lighter, will certainly perform better. And it tends to attract pilots who are better looking and perform better too.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buchanan View Post
    Well, speaking as an authority, the IV is certainly a much better looking airplane. And, being lighter, will certainly perform better. And it tends to attract pilots who are better looking and perform better too.

Guy, thank you for the info. I honestly had no idea that the IV could potentially enhance pilot performance for such a variety of missions!