Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing Sirius XM

Default installing Sirius XM

Another newbie question..

Can a Sirius XM be installed on an older dash that has the old-style gauges? (steam?)

Default Re: installing Sirius XM

Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb21 View Post
    Another newbie question..

Can a Sirius XM be installed on an older dash that has the old-style gauges? (steam?)
    I installed an automotive Sirius unit in my plane years ago for music only. If you are looking for the weather option, then a Garmin 696 or 796 would be a good approach.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Quote Originally Posted by N213RV View Post
    I installed an automotive Sirius unit in my plane years ago for music only. If you are looking for the weather option, then a Garmin 696 or 796 would be a good approach.
    Yep, I just want music...Beethoven, Rocket Man, etc etc

Looking at older, used planes with the wood paneling. Music is a must if I ever went with an older model.

Bluetooth headset linked to your smart phone, iPod, or whatever. All the music you'll ever need or want without adding more "stuff" to the panel.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

True, Sirius provides variety and new music. I get tired of my phone music often. Sometimes I need a DJ to take me home

I have a Sirius radio hooked up in mine. My MGL V10 radio has an aux input so it was just a matter of hooking the radio up to 12 volts on the power bus and plugging an ax cable in. It's really nice as it cuts out the music when transmisions are made and fades back up for a pleasant transition. Many headsets can have an adapter inline to plug in an aux sound source as well. Makes longer trips easier and I like the randomness of a dj and many more listening options.

In another thread you mention wanting to make relatively long cross country trips.

I agree with the poster above with regard to a Garmin portable.

A 396 can be had pretty cheap these days. You will have the music you want and XM weather which you will need on longer trips.

Sure there are ADSB solutions to weather but XM weather has some extras not provided by ADSB. For example winds aloft is nice to have and can be worth 5 to 10 knots on occasion.

There are innumerable RAM mounting solutions as well.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Quote Originally Posted by N981MS View Post
    In another thread you mention wanting to make relatively long cross country trips.

I agree with the poster above with regard to a Garmin portable.

A 396 can be had pretty cheap these days. You will have the music you want and XM weather which you will need on longer trips.

Sure there are ADSB solutions to weather but XM weather has some extras not provided by ADSB. For example winds aloft is nice to have and can be worth 5 to 10 knots on occasion.

There are innumerable RAM mounting solutions as well.
    can I install these on an older KitFox that has an old panel layout? (Sorry, i'm somewhat naive to the inner workings of panel layouts) A used (cheaper) kitfox is an option until I have the time to build my own to the spec I want, I can live with an older/used one if I can get satelite radio. Sort of silly I know, but I'm a young guy that listens to a lot of music... just what I'm looking for. thanks for input N981MS/Geowtiz

I am pretty sure that ADS-B weather includes winds & temp aloft. I have not used XM weather but have been told that ADS-B weather is equivalent to the mid-range XM subscription and its free. You can equip yourself with ADS-B IN to get weather, traffic, and TFR's for less than a recent model Garmin with XM.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    ADS-B IN to get weather, traffic, and TFR's for less than a recent model Garmin with XM.
    With the standard caveat that ADS-B IN information is not continuously available unless you have ADS-B OUT as well. However, time is short on this becoming mandatory if you fly anywhere that a mode c transponder is required today.

ADS-B equipage is something you should be thinking about anyway if you're looking to buy a used aircraft.