Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an easy to use comm handheld radio

Default Re: Looking for an easy to use comm handheld radio

Jim, any contingency for losing all power to the aircraft, may be the reason the Dynon failed? Compass, Map? I just pose the question since you have provided a scenario that I have been contemplating recently as I wire this thing and think of a backup radio. If one has no map available I suppose your phone is a good resource for at least outdated maps. In fact my iPhone has a compass also but I don't know how accurate it will be inside the airframe. It also has a nifty bubble level that I wonder how helpful it could be to orient the attitude of an airplane? Back on subject. I was hoping to see the new iCON A25 at the AS customer appreciation day event where the iCON vendor was showing a bunch of their stuff but would you believe they didnt have the newest product. I have owned iCON stuff in the past and liked it.
    Eddie

First off I have to ask what is easy to use. This is different for different people. The older radios were defiantly the easiest to use. Less features not so many buttons to push. That said lets face it everything is getting a little more complex with fancy glass panels, ipads or android tablets used for engine monitoring, navigation etc. I think the consideration you have to check is what will give you the best communication system in your cockpit and work with a headset or intercom you choose. I remember fighting with an A24 Icom, putting chokes on lines and trying every trick in my bag to try and get it to work. After some online checking I noted many having problems with the A24 due to the battery being less than 12 volts and not having sufficient power to work the electric microphone of most headsets. I just checked the specs on the new A25
    http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...fications.aspx
    and it appears that once again Icom is using a 7.2 volt battery. I would not take a chance on this new radio til someone proves it works with a headset.
    Lot of rambling without any conclusion so I would try to find an older used radio such as the icom A22 (still a great radio with external power plugs available) or look at Vertex.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    First off I have to ask what is easy to use. This is different for different people. The older radios were defiantly the easiest to use. Less features not so many buttons to push. That said lets face it everything is getting a little more complex with fancy glass panels, ipads or android tablets used for engine monitoring, navigation etc. I think the consideration you have to check is what will give you the best communication system in your cockpit and work with a headset or intercom you choose. I remember fighting with an A24 Icom, putting chokes on lines and trying every trick in my bag to try and get it to work. After some online checking I noted many having problems with the A24 due to the battery being less than 12 volts and not having sufficient power to work the electric microphone of most headsets. I just checked the specs on the new A25
    http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...fications.aspx
    and it appears that once again Icom is using a 7.2 volt battery. I would not take a chance on this new radio til someone proves it works with a headset.
    Lot of rambling without any conclusion so I would try to find an older used radio such as the icom A22 (still a great radio with external power plugs available) or look at Vertex.
    Hi Norm,

I am aware of Icom problems with compatibility with different headsets. Much due to microphone impedence mismatch between the radio design and different headset designs. Do not know it this was resoved with newer units.

Also aware of the requirment to plug in an external PTT (not available from Icom) into the Icom headset adapter to disable the internal Icom mic (not clear in their manual either). This "fix" prevents interference between the headset mic and the radio mic.

None of the the problems I know of are caused by the 7.2 v battery size. Possible the headset resistor circuitry and the Icom resistor circuitry don't "agree" with each other. But I doubt the battery is the cause. Many other radio's work fine with 7.4 v - the difference is insignificant - it's in the circuitry of the radio and/or headset compatibility.

Don't know if this has been resolved either in newer units - but I'd let a few others be the test cases! Especially when the new a25 is over $400!

I wish BaoFeng would make an aviation handheld - their extremely cheap stuff works pretty well for general amateur radio use!

YMMV, Greg

Good points Eddie, but just to clarify my backup situation, my Sporty's SP400 always has a good set of batteries in it so if my ships power goes down I can use the radio and VOR nav from the battery power. The 12v adapter I spoke of is a backup to the batteries (a double backup). In addition my panel includes an old fashioned whiskey compass, and I do always carry paper charts, outdated probably, ready at hand.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

One more thing before I shut up, any handheld radio can be much improved, range wise, by connecting it to your external ships antenna. I am thinking about doing this by installing a simple parallel antenna jack on my panel and then making a patch cord that can quickly be attached to my SP400 and the panel jack.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Once again I've seem to stir the pot a bit. But it's turned into a good read. I have an Icom in the Kitfox that is as simple as it gets. It has flip flop and a tuning knob. I like that! I wouldn't even begin to trust my iphone for navigation. But I also know an ipad in the sun is almost impossible to see. So that screen on the SP400 may be a good deal.

The perfect radio controls for me would be a switch from nav to comm and then just push in the freq then enter. Is the SP400 about that easy?

To enter a freq in the SP400 you just punch in the 6 digits on the keypad and that's it. The freq can be a comm, VOR, LOC, or ILS. If you select a nav freq there are other buttons to push to use it properly, such as selecting the radial you want to use, TO or FROM, etc. Its very much the same as using a panel mounted nav radio; Takes some manipulation. Obviously you need to know the basics of VOR navigation. To get out of the nav mode and into the comm mode, you simply punch in a comm freq and then listen or transmit. It also has a standby freq so you can flip-flop between two freq. Hope this helps.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Love it! Let's see what Santa brings...
    jay

I just saw this add on barnstormers. Looks like a good price. I found it for $214 on the web. JImChuk
    ICOM AVIATION PORTABLE NEW • $179 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • NEW IN BOX Icom A14 Aviation Portable w/ALL Assys....I have several of these...Please Email or Text • Contact Ralphee Addington - ARCOM RADIO COMMUNICATIONS, End User - located Orlando, FL USA • Telephone: 321-234-5327 . • Posted October 25, 2017 •

Santa did good this year. Brought me a Yaesu FTA-550. Great little radio. I'm just playing with it right out of the box and it's very easy to use. I've already got it scanning, looking for local flyers. Not much happening tonight, it's almost 0 degrees outside!