Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stabilizer trim jack-screw and motor.

Wink Re: Stabilizer trim jack-screw and motor.

I did not put in the cockpit indicator. I have a friend that had it and said his seemed fiddly and not all that reliable. He also pointed out that you only need to know the position before takeoff. Other wise you apply trim as needed to fly the plane. In 2003 when I first flew our Ktifox it was easy for me to turn around and look at the position of the stabilizer. 14 years later I am not as limber so as to make that turn to look but it is still doable. I am considering a switch of some sort in the tail and an indicator light for my "old age".
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Default Re: Stabilizer trim jack-screw and motor.

I did not install the trim indicator in my SS7 and have gotten along quite well without it. As was said in the previous post, you only need to know the position prior to takeoff. My routine is to look at the trim position just prior to getting in the airplane and set it properly if needed. Another method that works quite well is while taxiiing push the Nose DN switch until the stick stops moving, or for about 10 seconds (this assures full Nose DN position). Then push Nose UP for two seconds, which puts the trim in perfect takeoff position. Actually takeoff position is not very fussy and anything near the perfect position works just fine.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

FWIW I have taken off several times with the trim in full Nose UP position due to sloppy use of checklist. It lets you know right away as you try to raise the tail; requires much more forward stick pressure. A normal takeoff is still easily done, just needs a lot of forward stick as you correct the trim in flight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by JAMES20011 View Post
    hello this is jim holloway in La Grande Or. I need help, my electric trim for the horizontal stabilizer just arrived???? no instructions, no idea, need someone to help or at least tell me how..
    Jim,

You’re a 45 minute Flight from Homedale. Run down and chat with John.

If you are going to put in a digital panel you have the option of having trim indication on your screen. I just upgraded mine to show elevator trim. The Kitfox factory sells a kit for this, which has a potentiometer and mounting bracket and was very easy to install. Mine is very accurate, where as the cable feed back that came with the plane lags when you reverse directions.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016