Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New builder

Default Re: New builder

Ralph,

Ahhhhh...looks like smooth jaws too. Good idea.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    I have found a handy pair of pliers that is very versatile, and can even be used to squeeze rivets. An image is here:
    http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...00-main-lg.jpg

Nothing beats the correct tool for the job, however, these have really helped many times on a variety of tasks, in the hangar, workshop and home. The flat, parallel jaws and adjustment make them very handy. I have used them to fit large nuts, press into place bushings and to squeeze rivets.

Ralph
    I've got one of those too, Ralph... I really like it. I guess you'd call it "adjustable wrench-pliers".
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Just ordered one! Pricey but great design. Now how about cleco pliers and clecos. Just saw some different package kits on amazon. Paul

Just order the toolkit from Kitfox. You cant beat the price by much and you wiil use everythi g in it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I may not need everything in the tool kit. The project is probably 90% done. Already covered. Ill need to install interior, panel, cowling, windscreen, turtledeck, plumb and hang the engine. Probably more.?

Here is a link to what I encountered on my cowling. The previous builder started fitting the cowling on mine and I just finished it. The corners sticking out really bugged me and I always felt that there should be an extra cam lock or something to make this look better. I have noticed it on several KF 4's. I ended up heating the cowling and reshaping while it cooled. Got it closer to the point I could live with it.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2048

I don't know why you could not use pop rivets on the camlocs. The aileron brackets are pop-riveted on, as are the lift strut attachments - all structural. The rivets are there to hold the camloc in place. It will not pull through the fiberglass. Just make sure they are long enough to set properly.
    I believe the new Kitfox cowl fasteners are Skybolt Cloc 2500 series. Go to their website (skybolt.com) and download the engineering catalog. The catalog describes proper mounting and other selection criteria.
    The upper cowl edge thickness is definitely not consistent which can cause a wavy look and high or low spots. I'm trying to figure out how to best resolve this...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

If you do use pop rivets for the camlocks, use the flush head type rather than the standard rounded head which will prevent the mating cowl piece from pulling up tight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Shoot dang yeah! I just picked up some 3/32 countersunk from amazon. about $10/100. Thats what I am using.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    The upper cowl edge thickness is definitely not consistent which can cause a wavy look and high or low spots. I'm trying to figure out how to best resolve this...
    This is one reason I decided to use piano hinges with removable hinge pins between top and bottom cowl sections on my Model IV.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel