Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New builder

Default New builder

Hi guys. New to the site, kitfox 4 and rotax 912. Im about to purchase a project that is 90% done with 90% to go. Im also building a pietenpol aircamper that is about 75% done but will be putting that on hold while i concentrate on the kitfox. Im anxious to get my two teenage boys in the air.
    To start with i was hoping to see pics and get some tips on fitting the 4 pieces that makeup the round cowling and also the windscreen. Have also been told that a third party vendor provides a molded windscreen and a lexan turtledeck. ?? Thanks. PAUL

Default Re: New builder

The windscreen and turtle-deck are available directly from Kitfox at the best price.

What are you wanting to see, specifically, on the cowl? The builders manual has a good section on fitting these parts. Do you have a manual?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

We have recently fit our cowl and cam locks. Maybe this picture helps:

https://goo.gl/photos/d6Hyqn2fWsi84EwT6
    Chris Snyder
    Richmond, VA
    Kitfox 4 582 - Building

I guess ill wait till i get the manual home. Have looked through that section briefly. Just seems like the fiberglass is awful thin and wasnt sure if some beefing up at the attach points was necessary. Im just raring to go and wanted to get a little mental head start on it. I have never worked with camlocks either.
    Can they be pop riveted in place? Im good at steel, welding and woodwork but need to educate myself a bit on fiberglass, aluminum and riveting.
    Any pics of the 12005 bracket that supports the upper portion of the aft top cowl?

Camlocks are not usually pop riveted, but use solid rivets. The manual front section on builders tips shows the complete procedure for installing Camlocks. If you are carefull you can use vicegrips to squeeze the rivets. Just file some flat areas on the vicegrip jaw tips. I did all my solid rivets this way.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Paul,

As Jim did, I also used a visegrip to set most of my solid rivets including the ones on the cowl - the rivet material is much softer than a person would first think and a good squeeze takes care of it. I think a lot of us do this. The solid rivets are countersunk into the edge for a flush fit where the other parts of the cowl fit.

Another trick with setting solid rivets, particularly where they are not near an edge (out of reach of the VG) is to select a chunk of steel to use for an anvil and select a right sized hammer - a heel dolly used for auto body works great for an anvil; but there is no limit what kind of piece of salvage steel could be used as an anvil - just looking for enough weight - probably at least a pound.

Hard waiting for the manual; but, when it shows up - so much is clearly explained - Kitfox has just about the best manual out there for a kit plane. I realize that there are differences among the designs of cowls we use; but, each model specific manual is very logical and the step by step instructions when followed will work out really well.

With regard to the light weight of the fiberglass......that is one of the tactics used to keep the weight of the plane down - what you will find out is that once the cowl is fit and camlocked in place the whole assembly is very rigid as well as light.

Now - the real reason we use lightweight fiberglass, carbon fiber, lightening holes in structures etc.....once the plane is built there are numerous $100 hamburger flights that have to be accomplished!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Great tips. Thanks guys. Im sure more stupid questions to come, but ill wait till i wade into the manual more thoroughly first. Coming from a plans scratch built plane, going to a manual will be a treat. Paul

You might also consider that if you belong to a local EAA chapter (if there's one in your area you should) you could probably borrow a squeezer from someone. It makes the work on edge located rivets so easy & accurate. Having built a scratch-built all metal airplane, I've got 2 of them. I've loaned them to fellow builders so many times, I've lost count. Of course, my wife & I drove thousands of them also with bucking bars & an air gun.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

No stupid questions Nightmare only being stupid for not asking early. I have resolved to posting questions early because folks on here will answer quickly and with such simple replies that I felt STUPID for not seeing it first. Sometimes you just get wrapped up in a task that your mind quits seeing the big picture. Having someone who hasn't been thinking too hard on items in the task list then just walk up fresh and say "why don't you do this?" is so welcomed. Thank You, John M and Steve for revealing my inner stupid.

I have found a handy pair of pliers that is very versatile, and can even be used to squeeze rivets. An image is here:
    http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...00-main-lg.jpg

Nothing beats the correct tool for the job, however, these have really helped many times on a variety of tasks, in the hangar, workshop and home. The flat, parallel jaws and adjustment make them very handy. I have used them to fit large nuts, press into place bushings and to squeeze rivets.

Ralph