Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Incident" repair advice

Default Re: "Incident" repair advice

I'm on several other aircraft forums, and just now read a post from a guy on an "airchair" group. Look up red goat glider on utube if you want to see an airchair in action. Anyway here is what an engineer had to say about holes in the center section of an aluminum spar. Take it for what it's worth, I can't say he's right or wrong, but figured I would pass along what he said. Jim Chuk

I'm Richard Lamb - engineer and draftsman for the Texas Parasol project.
    The TP is basically a "fat" ultralight. A few have been built under 254 pounds but most run 320 or more.*
    *We sorta pioneered using extruded aluminum angle for fuselage construction, but my remarks today are about the wing we finally settled on.
    *We operated at higher weights and speeds than the air chairs will EVER see.
    And we have had NO failures due to rivet holes in the spar tubes with over 100 airplanes built.
    *Our wing was actually designed by (the late) Paul Hammond of San Antonio, Texas,
    It uses tube spars with bent sheet-metal compression ribs at each airfoil rib location to form an all-metal "ladder". The drawings specify .058 wall tube spars, but they have been built as light as .035.* The ,049 wall tubes cost more than the .058!
    *The thing is to locate the holes on the spar tube neutral axis.
    The front and back centerline of the tube.
    Anything in an arc +/- 45 degrees from the neutral axis had negligible* impact on spar tube strength.*

The reason I posted the last message was to perhaps remove some worry about some extra holes in the center of the spar where the diagonal braces are riveted on. That is if you believe what that guy says. Come to think about it, the rear spar has a hole drilled in it big enough for the airspeed indicator/pitot tube line to go through to feed back to the cockpit. 5/16" or maybe 3/8" in size. How many 1/8" rivet holes would that equal. Jim Chuk

Repair update, put the wing aside for now.Brought the fuse into the shop. Here are some pictures of damage.20161023_162724.jpg20161023_162716.jpg I have started to straighten the 3 bent tubes in this area.
    20161025_115220.jpg This has put the longeron back together. What would you guys suggest for further gussets or braces in this area.
    Attached Images Attached Images