Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

View Poll Results: How did you finish your NACA inlet?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • curved sidewalls in the cut-out area as molded by Kitfox

5 71.43%
  • Filled the curve & formed vertical walls with sharp edges

2 28.57%

Thread: NACA Air Inlet

Default NACA Air Inlet

Does anyone have any real world experience or data to show that the NACA scoop for radiator air on the 7 SS is more effective by bringing the sides at the inlet cutout straight up (forming a sharp-cornered vertical wall), or basically finishing them with the curved edges, as molded by Kitfox? I'm wondering how many people have done it either way.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: NACA Air Inlet

Hi John,

I went with the Kitfox moulded way because I view that scoop as more of a ram air than a true NACA vent due to the size and the position on the cowl.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh. I think you're probably right. I couldn't find many pictures of the inlets... am just curious how most do it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John,

Is this what you mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I went with fairly sharp vertical sides. I doubt there is any measurable performance difference, but I liked the sharp-cornered look better.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    John,

Is this what you mean?
    Yes, exactly. I see you went with the curved, Dave. That's what I'm doing too. I think that theoretically the NACA scoop is more efficient with the vertical walls & sharp corners (I could be wrong), but I think that Josh is right, in that the opening is at more of an angle to air flow than optimum for a NACA scoop. It might even be a little better at higher angles of attack when climbing with the curves... maybe not. Anyway, I made my cutout a little bigger than I wanted too, and decided to go with the curves.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

At the speeds we fly it probably makes no difference between curved edges and straight edges. There's a ton of info on line, both theory and application. I've never studied NACA inlets before so I got a real education when I did a search. The inlet appears to work because of the local turbulent flow. I suppose the sharp edges contribute to that turbulence. But, again, we are puttering about at 90 knots, not 250.

Given that the local flow is already turbulent, your slightly curved edges should work just fine. If technical perfection is your goal, along with a small amount of coolness factor, then creating the sharp edges shouldn't take but a few globs of filler and some sanding.

For what it's worth, I looked around at the airport and all the certified airplanes that have NACA inlets have sharp edges and straight sides.
    John Pitkin

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post

For what it's worth, I looked around at the airport and all the certified airplanes that have NACA inlets have sharp edges and straight sides.
    John Pitkin
    John,

I think there is much wisdom in your comment Certificated aircraft, although they certainly can be saddled with excess tradition and economic strictures, have a lot stuff figured out which makes for a good starting point for us experimental folks so we pretty much can figure out what works, what does not; and, what doesn't matter.

Anyone who is ever grounded by bad weather or bored by some other means could find spending time with the engineering achievements and design contributions associated with Kelly Johnson in his book titled "More than my Share" inspiring.....a lot of folks have gone before us and given us a good place to start from.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN