Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Lite (FAR-103 Legal) UL History? is BeLite the same renamed? - separate co.?

Default Kitfox Lite (FAR-103 Legal) UL History? is BeLite the same renamed? - separate co.?

Can anyone provide me with the history and current situation with the Kitfox Lite

From what I was able to find online, Dan Denney, of Idaho was the original Kitfox builder/designer (founder of the company) in 1984

8 years later Kitfox was bought out by SkyStar in 1992

8 years later, an employee group acquired SkyStar Aircraft In 2000

So during SkyStars tenure in 1998 they built a FAR-103 legal UL called the Lite

Kitfox makes no mention of the Lite on their website, not even as a history footnote

Furthermore it would seem that the Lite splintered off to a separate company or something because apparently someone named James Wiebe bought the Kitfox Lite assets from somebody who bought the assets at a bankruptcy court and now produces the BeLite (presumably a renamed Kitfox Lite) though I probably shouldn’t assume that

For Wiebe to end up with the Lite but not the rest of the Kitfox lineup…. It must have been a separate entity.

Can anyone shed some light on the “Lite” history and current situation?

1- Is the BeLite a renamed Kitfox Lite…. Perhaps updated slighty? Merely renamed for trademark reasons?
    2- Did it get “spun-off” to a separate company?, who? When? Why?......and are they the ones who went Bankrupt?
    3- If you had a SkyStar era Lite, does Kitfox support them? Parts etc?

It seems unusual for a company to spin-off just one of their models to a separate company, that would be like Audi continuing to produce the A4, A6 and A8 but selling the rights and tooling to the A5 to one of their competitors….. its got me scratching my head……. Figured maybe someone here would know

With Kitfox being known for very capable STOL planes with folding wings it would seem their UL version would crush the competition as most UL’s wings do not fold, have kingposts etc

From the limited info online, it sounds like it is/was a great UL plane worthy of the Kitfox name.

Default Re: Kitfox Lite (FAR-103 Legal) UL History? is BeLite the same renamed? - separate co

From my understanding, the Kitfox Lite never made it to a legal 103 ultralight. It never got down consistently to 254 pounds empty.

Probably not a great seller, especially once Light Sport came around…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Kitfox Lite (FAR-103 Legal) UL History? is BeLite the same renamed? - separate co

Just to clear up one thing, Dan Denny was not the designer of the Kitfox. Dean Wilson designed the Avid Flyer, and Dan copied it. Compare an Avid A model and a Kitfox 1 sometime. That being said, Kitfox development and design eventually went past Avid into what it is today. The Avid Champien was Avid's stab at making a legal ultralight. I think both planes may have just barely been able to make weight if nothing extra was added and smallest engine (277 Rotax) was used. Jim Chuk

Dan Denny and Dean Wilson were partners... And developed the Avid A... So one should give credit to both for the development of the original.
    Dan Denny started Kitfox after their partnership dissolved.

Kitfox Lite. Introduced in 1999 by Skystar. Discontinued in 2003 mostly due the the Light Sport movement and also the lack of a viable engine to keep it in the weight limit. The Kitfox Lite built correctly and with the 2si engine would meet the legal weight limit of 254 lbs. 2si went out of business in 2003.

Kitfox Aircraft still own the rights to the Kitfox Lite. However, support is limited.. While many parts can still be made the only engine option was the 2si. We played with the 503 but it would not meet the UL weight limit. New technology and players in the engine world has offered the option of offering the Lite again but we feel it is still not viable at this time... Especially with the Light Sport movement.

Belite basically took the design of the Lite and created his own version.... He has made many, many changes and while similar is not the Lite.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    Dan Denny and Dean Wilson were partners... And developed the Avid A... So one should give credit to both for the development of the original.
    Dan Denny started Kitfox after their partnership dissolved.

Kitfox Lite. Introduced in 1999 by Skystar. Discontinued in 2003 mostly due the the Light Sport movement and also the lack of a viable engine to keep it in the weight limit. The Kitfox Lite built correctly and with the 2si engine would meet the legal weight limit of 254 lbs. 2si went out of business in 2003.

Kitfox Aircraft still own the rights to the Kitfox Lite. However, support is limited.. While many parts can still be made the only engine option was the 2si. We played with the 503 but it would not meet the UL weight limit. New technology and players in the engine world has offered the option of offering the Lite again but we feel it is still not viable at this time... Especially with the Light Sport movement.

Belite basically took the design of the Lite and created his own version.... He has made many, many changes and while similar is not the Lite.

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"
    John,
    Thanks for the info, I was hoping someone from the KF factory would have some insight and history

How many "lite" kits were sold?.... they seem pretty rare in the UL world

I was flying a "Fat-UL" back in that time period and don't remember seeing many of them

It's my understanding that the KF Lite was one of the very few "ultralights" that could (if built to a bare minimum) actually make the FAR103 weight limit of 254lbs and still have a semi-enclosed cabin

The BeLite switched to carbon fiber wing spars and digital instruments to shave enough weight to run a bigger motor.... but I still think I would rather have an original KF Lite if I were in the market for a UL
    Last edited by azsportpilot; 05-08-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Just to clear up one thing, Dan Denny was not the designer of the Kitfox. Dean Wilson designed the Avid Flyer, and Dan copied it. Compare an Avid A model and a Kitfox 1 sometime. That being said, Kitfox development and design eventually went past Avid into what it is today. The Avid Champien was Avid's stab at making a legal ultralight. I think both planes may have just barely been able to make weight if nothing extra was added and smallest engine (277 Rotax) was used. Jim Chuk
    Looks like the Avid Champion had about the same production timeframe 1998-2003

Jim Bethea of UltraFlight magazine said: "The Champion is arguably the best fixed-wing ultralight available and perhaps the most overlooked."

I suspect the Kitfox Lite is/was just as capable, they appear to be very similar (except for the signature KF Radial Cowl) & 1 foot less wingspan on the KF

http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft4/19.htm

Regarding design, Wison designed and built the Avid Flyer, and took Denney in later as a partner. But the partnership was never completed, so in effect Denney was Wison's sales guy. At least that is Dean Wilson's side of it. I own the prototype Avid yet, and based on what the original logs have in them, that would make sense as Denney's name is not anywhere in them until later. But I do think had Wilson and Denney's paths not crossed, it's likely that none of us today would be enjoying these great little airplanes. Unfortunately the story is more like the clash of titans as opposed to the story of Orville and Wilbur...

Regarding the ultralight; As I recall Kenny Schrader worked at Kitfox and his brother Stace worked at Avid, and it was the two of them that collaborated on the design of their ultralight in their garage at the same time Avid was creating their Avid Champion ultralight. They essentially wanted to sell their design to Avid, but Avid was less than impressed with them borrowing much of the design from the Champion, so the design ended up at Kitfox. Ultimately Kenny and Stace went on to create Skyraider, and later Stace split off with the Ridge Runner. But all of the designs are very similar if you look close at them.

And again, it all started with that first Avid Flyer that Dean Wilson drew in a notebook. History repeats itself you know....

I have a 2001 kf lite and love it! it will fly like a utralight or a light sport style. I have a 447 on it now and working on re building a 503 to set on it. It is a real shame they dot make them any more! hard to find them and a good one at that! Mine has spring suspension too which really does wonders in rough places. I truly do enjoy flying this plane!! winter and summer!

I just saw on the b elite facebook page that they are selling the tooling for the kitfox lite. Might be of interest to someone on here.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

How can they be selling the tooling of Kitfox still owns the rights to the design?