Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: relief tubes

Default relief tubes

This may not be a problem for you younger pilots but us older fellows need more relief during longer flights. Sooooo if any of you have made provisions in your plane for this purpose I would like to not re-envent the wheel. Any insight would be appreciated in this install.

Default Re: relief tubes

Having done several long x-country flights in my plane, my method is to schedule legs no longer than 2 hours. I can usually manage that length of time.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

the problem with flying a kitfox is you are dealing with 2 sticks. I generally drop in altitude when attempting so go way up in altitude before doing your thing

the last time I needed to do this, all I had was my water bottle. needless to say that was no longer a water bottle.

I generally don't drink 1 hour before flying. and than I only take one drink per 15 minutes in the air. seems to slow down the need to go. than I only fly for an hour at a time

There are several problems associated with relief tube installation. Essentially there are two solutions. Retaining the waste in a bottle or bag. Or, draining it over board.

On board retention ranges from ziplock backs to Gatorade bottles. In a Kitfox that presents a problem getting the bottle low enough so it does not spill during the filling process. With a control stick in the way and a limited distance from the seat cushion to the floor it makes positioning difficult for men and near impossible for women.

For over board discharge a system consists of a funnel, tube, Venturi and heater. The Venturi provides suction to pull the fluid through the tube but Bernouli is alive and well. There is a big temperature drop at the Venturi and things can ice up on a 70 degree day in an instant. Don't even think of installing a Venturi system without a heater. You'll also need to find a suitable drain location so you do not have fluids weeping into the structure. Urine is pretty corrosive. You wouldn't want to have a dog peeing inside your fuselage... So you probably don't want to do it yourself.

The answer is a combination of the two systems. A bottle for storage. A hose connected to a funnel for input. This allows positioning for both men and women and the bottle can be placed down low near the rudder pedals. The bottle requires two hoses in the cap. One for fluid in and the other for a vent. The hoses should be soft like surgical tubing. When done you can seal the hoses with a clothes pin.

The hose and fittings should have at least a 3/8 inch ID to prevent back-up and overflow of the funnel. Use a heat gun to reshape the funnel into an oval for easier use by both men and women.

Be sure to carry some tissues as there is no room to "shake it off".

All of the above system may be homemade for just a few bucks. I recommend plastic bottles and maybe a spare cap without hoses as a back up when full. I find a 20 oz bottle is adequate but marginal in capacity. A liter bottle is better. Better too much capacity than one that is a wee bit too small.

One last suggestion. When you decide on a system, try it out on the ground, first. You'd be surprised at the gyrations necessary to get everything in position without spilling.

John Pitkin

one more note: coffee tends to make you go more. personal experience. I generally take two sips of water an hour before flying. than only every 15 minutes in the air. oh I go just before entering the aircraft. and that's not a walk down to the bathroom either.

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    There are several problems associated with relief tube installation. Essentially there are two solutions. Retaining the waste in a bottle or bag. Or, draining it over board...

John Pitkin
    That's excellent... it really covers the bases with some good suggestions. Thanks John! My technique has been to use a wide mouth Nalgeen bottle, but it sure does require some contortions - even more so in my T-18 than in a Kitfox. I don't think it would even be possible for me without at least a wing-leveller - that helps a lot. A big enough bottle sure is important, alright... trying to "shut it off" when you're not done can be "interesting" (especially when you're all bent over trying to get some clearance above the seat). You don't want to go there.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'm a little guy. I can't imagine trying if I was a big guy. yes I have had to do the deed in air, no place to safely land either. I find that it is possible in a empty bottle. one of those red sporty things I think work the best because it has a big opening on the bottom. and a big one at the beginning. Like I said already, there are two sticks to deal with and the one not attached to me is the worse. it likes to go all over the place thus making the aircraft do the same and that is when things get real interesting. I also find if I unbuckle everything on my pants, that makes thing easier.

I know many a pilot that has their wife wear one of the adult diapers, or depends, and it works out real good for them. I will never say I wear one of those, but I assure you I never have. but if I ever did I wouldn't admit.

I open the door and well..aim and go and try my best not to close the door in a slip while "relieving" the pressure ..only had to do that twice so far.. water bottles don't work, hitting a target that small is tough while flying a plane at the same time ..and I'd have to cut the top off a milk jug..then take a chance of spilling it inside..pickle jar works but doesn't have enough capacity, I thought about getting the hospital jugs just for that purpose..plenty of room so you don't miss target and it has a cap
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    . . ..and I'd have to cut the top off a milk jug..then take a chance of spilling it inside.......
    SkyPirate with the above comment, I figured I'd raz you al little. now your not bragging or anything.
    I would recommend you try one of the "Clear thermosensitive PVC catheter -Radiopaque Sentinel Line tubing with Sentinel Eye catheter -Smooth side eyes and open distal tip -Numeric depth marks at 2cm increments -Beveled connector end can be cropped to form integral funnel connector -Rigid, Escon tube package -Sterile". The Smooth Eyed Catheter, strap a bag to you leg and your ready to fly.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Well, lots of info in this thread, good stuff. I was on a glide site and they seem to have a few systems worked out, the most activity on the site seems to be the external catheters with either a connection to a relief tube or the bags. I also try not to drink too much but in the summer dehydration can become a problem, prostrate enlargement is also a problem even with a little H2O.
    Thanks for all the input. The plane I fly noe Rans S-7 seat is more upright and the johnny bags seem to work for me now. When I was flying the SS-7 Kitfox this situation came across my mind laying back in the seat, I like the seat in the Kitfox.