Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What props are available for the 582?

Default What props are available for the 582?

Much to my dismay, my Mod IV project needs a replacement prop. In reading the info on GCS's website I found the 5 year TBO. The blades don't look too great around the hub anyway. So, what are my other choices? Wood looks nice, but here in Indiana weather changes quickly and it could get very wet. Price is also an issue, so if a fixed pitch is less money that's fine with me.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Default Re: What props are available for the 582?

Jay- you might look into an Ivo prop. Probably the lowest cost composite on the market, pretty efficient, durable and light weight.

I know Kitfox Aircraft is a dealer for Ivo.

I would make a call to Ivo for their recommendation for the right prop for your engine/gearbox combination.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks. I think I have the C gearbox. I'll shop them today if I have a chance.

I have a couple of props I have thought of selling.

I have a 2-blade Taper tip Warp Drive that looks like new. It only has a few hours on it. I removed it from a RANS S7 to install a 3-blade Whirl Wind. The Warp actually performed better than the Whirl Wind does, but I needed nickle leading edges due to going on floats and the Warp did not have them.

I also have the GSC that is on the Kitfox I just bought. You can read about it in other threads on here. The prop looks very good and has never been flown, only a couple of hours for test runs on the plane. As you said, I really like the look of the wood prop on the Kitfox, it just seems to fit the overall look of the plane moreso than the newer composite types. I was going to keep it on the Kitfox but just recieved another Whirl Wind so not going to use it.

I was able to get a new WhirlWind 75" STOL for a Christmas present that will be going on the RANS S7. I will be taking the current 70" WW off the RANS and installing it on the Kitfox. This leaves me with two spare props that I really don't need.

I will be driving through Indiana next week with my Kitfox in tow. If you might be interested in buying either of these props I might be able to bring it with and meet you if it is not out of my way.

(Jay has a two-stroke, which turns the opposite direction than your 912. These wouldn't work for him.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

LOL....Gee, I wasn't even thinking. Maybe he needs to get a different engine then!

I did think of that in the beginning. I'm not to keen on the idea of a 2-stroke engine, but the conversion would be way too expensive.

Jay,
    You can buy a new set of blades from GSC. It might be your least expensive option, though I don't really know their current pricing.

If you have a 3:1 gear ratio on the C box 582, IVO only recommends the two blade medium. That's what I'm running (70") and it works well, but it's a pretty high inertia prop which resulted in extremely rough idle. I eventually installed a RK400 clutch to resolve this issue.

Other people go ahead and run the three blade ultralight and are happy with it. It's just not recommended by the manufacturer.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

New wood blades are out of the question. IVO's website is a little vague. I was wondering the difference between the ultralight and medium props. I wonder why only two blades? And why was it so rough?

Here's my issue. The engine is going out for overhaul this weekend, I hope. And depending on what I hear from the shop will depend on what I need for a prop. If the engine is buildable, and the C gearbox is ok, I'll need a new (?) prop. But if the engine or gearbox or both is junk, I'll need a different prop. I assume the Bluehead takes a different prop??? I'm trying so hard to get this project back on schedule.

Hi Jay, I sent you a private message. If you have a gray head 582 now, the blue head 582 can use the same prop unless you change gearbox ratios from one to the other. Jim Chuk