Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actual time to build SS-7

Default Re: Actual time to build SS-7

My Stroker C-85 weighed in at 200# w/carb &w/o exh.(and thats with Bendix mags which are heavier than Slicks). I put a lightweight B&C starter (7#) on it also. I am with you, if you have a problem out in the boonies or away from home, you cannot hand prop it, or easily repair it. I would consider the O-233 Lyc even though it would bring the EW up to about 878 according to John Mc. He mentioned this morning to me, the Lyc worked out fine, but was just about 80-90# heavier.

I was told that you can't hand prop a 912. To me it was the biggest drawback to the engine, and I always believed it to be the case.

I landed on a gravel bar one day, and saw a buddy flying over turned on the master to talk him into coming down. Went for a little hike came back to the plane. Guess what somebody left the master on. Dead battery I figured it can't hurt to try hand propping it. The sucker started right up. Since then I've it done it two other times. It starts as easy as a c85 does. Made a little piece that holds the choke out for doing it cold. Now that I know this I'm more careful pulling the prop through.

After typing this I searched youtube and found a video of someone hand propping a Rotax 912. This guy has a two blade mine is a three blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JUBrHYsh4E
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

I have hand propped my 912UL, too. I also fly a Taylorcraft with an A-65 which has to be hand propped every time, so when my Kitfox wouldn't start one day, I didn't have a second thought about spinning it to life. Reading the manual later I found out that I couldn't do that.

I admit the T-craft is much easier, and propping the kitfox is scary but it can be done.

Louie

The hand propping is a question i had always wondered, I was also under the impression it couldn't be done, this is great news. What about the injected 912? Less likely?,

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

From discussions over the last few years on hand propping, it is my understanding that a 912 ul 80 hp engine is possible to hand prop, the higher compression 912 uls is not, I would think the SI would be the same .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

With enough force on the prop I see no reason the ULS can not be hand propped like a UL. It will just take a stronger pull-through to overcome the higher compression. All you need is 200 crank RPM to get the ignitions to fire.

The IS motor, being fuel injected, requires electricity to run the pumps to pressurize the fuel rails so hand propping probably won't have any need unless the starter motor has failed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos