Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actual time to build SS-7

Default Actual time to build SS-7

Of those who have completed or near completion on an Super Seven, how long to build with quick build wings for an experienced builder. I have built two aircraft and rebuilt 8 others. Looking for real world hours.
    Jim

Default Re: Actual time to build SS-7

I have 80 hrs on my SS7 with 912iS. It took me 1 year and 1 month to build. I had purchased the wing pre build and the factory fabricated misc
    parts. I am retired and averaged 10 hr. per day 6 days a week.

My build took 1 year and 4 months while working a full time job. I think that I could have finished in a year if I had ordered the FWF, Engine, and Prop earlier. I estimate between 1000 and 1200 hours build time. I did have the quick build wings with the Laker Leading Edge Kit. I was a first time builder without much experience building stuff. I had a great time building the plane, but flying has been much more fun. My Kitfox has been worth all the work and money that went into it!!!!

great info, thanks. I am looking for my last plane to build and realize I don't want to spend 4 yrs or more on it, likw the RV and Acro Sport builds. I am trying to narrow it down from Rans -7, Kitfox -7, or the Bearhawk LSA. the bearhawk is the hardest build of the three by far, but quite an airplane. Speed at cruise matters to me and at least the Kitfox has more speed than most of the others of its type. I also think its the strongest of the tube spar type wings. Not sure why but it seems to be. I wondered what the 'prefab kit' referred to. A year would be great. Unfortunetly, I have a C-85-12 I rebuilt and did not use on my last build. Its a stroker with 100hp, but i realise the Rotax is probably a better matched engine. Hate not use it.

I am retired so work time is not a factor, just total time to build.
    Jim

I have a model 4 speedster that came as quick build equivalent. I'm at 1000 hours spread over 35 months. I've had several breaks where months go by and no productive time applied to the project. It's all painted, engine functioning (912) and essentially ready for A/W inspection. Paperwork was submitted to the local DAR and waiting for an appointment.
    Tom Parkhurst
    N37TP

So, it looks like a guy on the go can do it in about a thousand hours.
    One other thing, what is the Laker Leading Edge?
    Jim

The LLEdge is a fiberglass cover over 20% of the leading edge of the wing. Makes the leading edge look good also supposed to add performance. I've never done side by side comparisons on the performance advantages. I was told it decreases the stall speed and increases the cruise speed. I would install the LLE kit again if I was to repeat the build.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/alb...pictureid=3591

This link is a picture of my LLE on my wing.

Scott
    Laker leading edge kit.jpg

Probably due to the extruded I-beam insert. Adds a lot in a critical area.

Quote Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
    I also think its the strongest of the tube spar type wings. Not sure why but it seems to be.

It took me a year and 2 weeks to build a Model 2-582.
    It took a minute to write a check for a Model 4-912ULS.
    The 912ULS is the perfect all around engine for my 700# Kitfox on 29" ABW's.
    The only problem with the 912 that I have had is that when the starter fails you are stuck until you remove the engine to replace the starter.
    I just told a friend I wished a 100HP C-85 could be made light enough to compete with the weight of a 912.
    I would consider flying without a starter, charging system, wood prop and lightweight ignition, if the C-85's all around performance came close to that of the 100 HP Rotax.
    I saw Frank Knapp's LiL Cub fly at Oshkosh.
    I believe it weighs less than my Kitfox and it sure lands short.
    It probably will not cruise at 110-115 mph (even with a different prop) .
    There are several 0-200 Kitfox's flying and they may weigh in the 900# range.
    How light could your C-85 be made ready to fly?
    You need to be the first on your block to try the C-85 out in a Kitfox.
    Herman

I didn't build it but I did have a good mechanic once. He cut an escape hatch in the firewall for my starter on the Model IV 1200 with the 912. Its still fire "proof" and I can remove the starter in about an hour with a screwdriver and a Leatherman.