Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Header Tank

Default Header Tank

Hey guys. I have 6 gallon wing tanks, and i HAD the 7 gallon panel tank, but i removed that when i bought my plane, and put a 5 gallon tank up behind the seat. In doing this, i made my plane tail heavy. So, i was wondering if they make a smaller tank for up front that can go behind the panel? An aluminum tank would be fine with me. And would that be a sealed tank? Or would i need to vent it? Also, how would i monitor the fuel in that tank?
    I wouldn't worry about even having the extra tank, but with the attitude my Kitfox 2 flies in, the fuel starts sloshing around in the tanks with roughly 2 gallons left in each tank, and with the fuel line connection in the back of the tank, the fuel seems to go more towards the leading edge as opposed to the trailing edge!
    Any suggestion on a remedy would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Andy

Default Re: Header Tank

One thing you might look at is possibly modifying a a fuel cell for use as a
    header. Go to www.summitracing.com, and browse fuel cells there are a lot
    of sizes and capacities which could easily be modified for what you want
    to do.

Regards,
    Jeff Hays

Putting a panel mount tank back in will reopen the SB#29 problem. If your CG is not too far aft, the cheap fix is adding ballast in the forward cowling or the firewall where the old tank was removed. Add just enough to bring the CG within limits when loaded.

Fuel in wing tanks normally gravitates and sloshes toward the trailing edge. It doesn’t matter how high the tail appears to be in relation to the wing. The wing ( and thus the wing tank) is at a positive pitch during climb and cruise. The only time a wing tank has fuel concentrated toward the leading edge is during descents.

Early models of the Kitfox did not have wing tanks and used a panel tank under the glare shield. It was in effect a large header tank. The panel tank geometry is such that the fuel supply port is never uncovered in normal attitudes. Wing tanks are, by comparison, very flat. During descents with low fuel quantity the supply ports on the wing tanks may become uncovered. To prevent fuel starvation the engine is supplied from a header tank. The header tank is large enough to supply the engine with fuel during extended descents. Generally about 20 minutes or more at idle power.

The original location of the header tank under the panel does not work well with wing tanks. In steep climb attitudes the wing tanks may be lower than the panel tank and it is possible for fuel to flow backwards. To correct that problem, the header tank was moved to a location low and behind the seat. This new location ensures header tank fuel does not flow back to the wing tank(s). See service bulletin #22 and #29.

All tanks must be vented. An unvented tank can develop a vacuum lock in the tank or the supply lines.

At rest, a vent line will have fuel in it at the same level as the highest fuel tank. If you have clear vent lines you may see fuel higher or lower than fuel in the wing tanks during flight. This is quite normal as changes in attitude will cause fuel to flow up or down in the vent.

Another option is to go with larger wing tanks and install a smaller header tank behind the seat like the current model 7.

John Pitkin

Andy, I found your post (from 2013) while searching for some help with a similar problem. I have only one 12 gallon wing tank with no header tank. I am exploring the mounting of an oversize header behind the seat to increase capacity. I have a forward CG with a VW conversion up front so I could use some weight behind the seat. I'm curious about the design of the five gallon tank and mounting that you installed behind the seat. Do you have any pictures of that setup? What kind of solution did you finally settle on?

Thanks for your help!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AVanlent View Post
    Hey guys. I have 6 gallon wing tanks, and i HAD the 7 gallon panel tank, but i removed that when i bought my plane, and put a 5 gallon tank up behind the seat. In doing this, i made my plane tail heavy. So, i was wondering if they make a smaller tank for up front that can go behind the panel? An aluminum tank would be fine with me. And would that be a sealed tank? Or would i need to vent it? Also, how would i monitor the fuel in that tank?
    I wouldn't worry about even having the extra tank, but with the attitude my Kitfox 2 flies in, the fuel starts sloshing around in the tanks with roughly 2 gallons left in each tank, and with the fuel line connection in the back of the tank, the fuel seems to go more towards the leading edge as opposed to the trailing edge!
    Any suggestion on a remedy would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Andy

Dr. Dave I looked at his airplane when he had it for sale a couple years ago and can tell you he used a pony keg for his header tank. If you look in his photo album you will see it in a couple pictures. I am also currently dealing with fuel flow issues on my model 1 which still has the header mounted on the firewall. I will be redoing my fuel system IAW SB 29, but using a different tank because that one is not available to me. Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images