Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator Bearing stuck

Default Elevator Bearing stuck

Ok I am new and just starting my kit this month. I reamed the holes for my 93021.000 bearing on the Horizontal Stab. Then I put loctite RC680 on it and started to press it in with a C clamp. It wet in over 2/3 in... Now it is stuck. Picture attached. Any suggestions? I am also afraid now to do the other ones. See picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Elevator Bearing stuck

This one is easy...

Locktite 680 is for permanent installation; but, that doesn't mean you can’t get the bushing out. You just need heat. A good heat gun will get things warm enough to break the bond. However, that heat will also bubble any powder coating. Not a big deal. Just paint it when your bushing repair is complete. It all gets covered with fabric later.

You will need to make a puller/press to get the bushing out and resize it. Even though you reamed the hole the proper size, many of the bushings are oversize making the bushing way too tight as you have discovered.

Use a short 3/8 inch bolt as a pusher inside the elevator, a 1/2 or 9/16 socket to fit over the protruding bushing, and a c clamp to press out the bushing with the heat applied.

Re-ream the elevator to clean out the residual 680. Put nut and bolt through the bushing as a mandrel to hold it in a drill press. Measure the bushing with a dial caliper. Then use a hand held file to size the bushing to fit the hole. It should go in with firm thumb pressure. The 680 will hold it in firmly when you are ready for permanent installation.

Be sure to ream the inside of the bushing after it is installed.
    That’s about it. Pretty simple fix.
    John Pitkin
    Greenville Tx

I had a bearing do the same thing although mine was the result of not being quite square. I removed the bearing by taking a hacksaw blade and cutting it so the end was narrow enough to pass through the ID of the bearing. I cut most of the way through the bearing and grabbed the protruding bearing end in with something like channel locks and the bearing will collapse pretty easily and pull out.

I concur with John Pitkin, I would first try doing some things to prevent damage to the paint. Maybe torch heat a Bolt that fits into the busing until it is red hot pick it up with some pliers, and push it into the bearing on the end sticking out until seated against the bushing. It may require a hammer because the bolts will grow in diameter. Then I would take a punch and try to drive it out with a hammer from the opposite end. If that doesn’t work then go to the method of a heat gun that will damage the Powder Coat Paint. Heat is the only thing that will break the bond.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

This is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    I had a bearing do the same thing although mine was the result of not being quite square. I removed the bearing by taking a hacksaw blade and cutting it so the end was narrow enough to pass through the ID of the bearing. I cut most of the way through the bearing and grabbed the protruding bearing end in with something like channel locks and the bearing will collapse pretty easily and pull out.

Thank you all for the advice. It is appreciated.

Been there, done that.
    Lots of great advise in here

Hi, I have also just started a series 5 kit and am a first time builder.
    This is my first post and I am new to forum's so I'm sorry if I don't know what I am doing.
    My question has to do with this same 93021.000 bearing install. Where in the instructions does it tell you to install these with RC680 Loctite? I have read this in multiple posts and cannot find it in my instructions.
    (I should note that my instructions & kit were originally sold in 1994)
    I also looked at the S7 assy manual on the Kitfox website and i see nothing there that mentions that these need to loctited in.
    Am I missing something?
    Joe

your certainly not alone there Bushfly

I think all of us builders have been there done that on these bearings the first run through
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3