Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tundra Tires"?

Default "Tundra Tires"?

I just bought a project Mod. IV and have been bombarding these forums with questions. Thanks for all your answers! I have my own grass strip, but it's not the smoothest. My IV has spring gear but small tires. Would I be better off with larger tires? I've searched this forum for tires and came up empty. I was thinking of going to floater tires as it needs new rubber anyway.

Default Re: "Tundra Tires"?

I'm running 21 x 800-6 tires on my IV. They are a good compromise of size versus price. Frankly, they are cheap as hell compared to the "Alaskan" tires.

Link

Plenty big enough for the "off airport" work that I do.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I had the small tires at first, then I upgraded to the Alaskan bushwheel 29" Airsteaks along with better brakes/wheels from Grove. The Airstreaks are phenomenal on grass/river beds/pasture... But they wear very quickly on pavement. If most of your flying is from non-pavement fields, I'd endorse the tundra tires for sure.

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ighlight=Nanco

Other than being a little out of round and having to tap the brakes after take off to stop a little shake, for the money, these nancos have been a good deal. If you look around on the web, you can find them real cheap.

Nanco 21" 8's are the way to go. Tires-easy.com. $30ea plus shipping makes it $100 for a pair to my door.

How did they all handle? The builder had them at one time but didn't like the way they acted. I assume he was on pavement most of the time. I also don't know his tailwheel experience. He had 200 hours on his Kitfox.

Wow! those are huge! I was thinking something like the 8.00x4.00 that my Vagabond had on the mains.

I would say stay away from the 4" wheels. So many more option with 6" wheels. Better brakes, too.

If you already have the 8" Douglass ATV wheels setup on your plane stay with that if you like it. I hated mine. The brakes were terrible. I've been much happier since the conversion to Grove wheels and brakes. I can actually stop my plane if I want, now. I couldn't with the original Matco-Douglas setup.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have no idea what tires are on it now, but I think it has Grove wheels and brakes. The former owner/builder said the brakes sucked. I'm still in the planning stages on this rebuild, but I need to put good tires under her so I can keep it rolling. The right tire keeps going flat. To be honest, the tires on it now look like golf cart tires.

Look at your tires and tell us the size. That should allow us to figure out what you have there.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos