Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 1000 hours...

Default 1000 hours...

I got my SS7 on 5.18.2012 and just passed 1000 hours of build time. Just about finished fabric covering. Planning my paint booth. Wondering how many hours will be spent on the painting phase. I will order the engine in time to have it after painting is done. Assuming it takes a month to get the engine...should I order it soon? Am I half way done yet? Should I frame my pinking shears and hang it on the wall?. Thanks

Default Re: 1000 hours...

Wondering how many hours will be spent on the painting phase.
    Looking at my builder's log. I spent right at 80 hours painting. It is poly tone and takes lots of coats to get to the top coat of polytone. It was my first attempt at painting an airplane and I used a cheap harbour freight spray gun. Had to make a speed run to town to buy a second one cause the MEK got to the O-rings in the first one half way through the job.

I think maybe one of the newer (Water based??) paint systems would be lots easier and faster.

Fresh out of the paint booth in 2001.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks TJ, with that in mind I think I will order the 912uls soon. I was hoping to hear other replies with estimated build times to have an idea of how much longer It will be to completion. I know that there is a wide range of build times but with numerous responses I could formulate an average. Kitfox says 1500 is doable but a builder friend says"when it starts to look like a plane you're about half way" I'll guess I'm about there. I'm enjoying the build regardless. I also help with a b-17 restoration here in Ohio if that interests anybody. Jch

From my perspective the finish work really takes the time.

The fancier the paint job, the more detailed you make the bird, the fancier you make the instrument panel and the electrical system etc., then you will see the hours add up.

I can't tell you exactly how many hours were invested in painting but I could only dream about it taking 80 hours.

I know I did things on my plane that most people would choose not to but as the saying goes "your mileage will vary".

I had many more than 1500 hours in my project and would probably looked down the throat of the 2000 hour mark to get everything done exactly how I wanted it.

But the building was an important element of my experience. I could literally tune out the rest of the world and the stresses in my life when I was building.

So maybe you're 80% done and 50% to go.

Here's some SS7 (912s) build times from my log. I spent quite a bit of time on details and tried to thoroughly think things thru before charging ahead, so my times are probably somewhat on the lengthy side. I also did not purchase any quick build wings or prefab options. I did purchase almost every other available option.

2300 hrs total to completion-ready for AW inspection
    1400 hrs from start of covering to aircraft completion
    I hired the painting done, so don't have any hrs to include for painting.
    650 hrs from start of FWF to aircraft completion
    450 hrs just for wiring, engine sensors, panel install & wiring, Dynon setup.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Took me 2300 hours including painting.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Just had N68868 (SS7) complete it's airworthiness inspection this week, with a grand total of 2369.0 hrs of build time. Not a world record, but in the ballpark of what others have stated. No quick build parts and took my time. Time for paint will vary greatly depending on what type of paint and how smooth you want the finish. I used Poly-Tone and did lots of sanding between coats, with Aerothane once is usually enough unless you have dirt in the paint or runs to be sanded out. I have a 912ULS and would estimate approximately 200 hrs for complete install of all components FWF, except cowling (fit, trim, finish). Again, it depends on how fast you want to work, or want to enjoy the building process. Good luck, when you do finish it doesn't seem like it was all that long.

Dick B

Thanks to all who replied. It was helpful to know that a reasonable "average" is about 2300 hrs. The breakdown of hours for different phases was helpful also.