Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Steel fitting corrosion protection

Default Steel fitting corrosion protection

I have a couple steel firewall carry throughs, they were showing a bit of surface corrosion so I cleaned them up but now I realize I removed all the remaining corrosion protection. What’s the best way to reprotect the fitting with out gumming yo the threads. Is there an alodine product for steel?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Steel fitting corrosion protection

By “carry throughs” are you talking about bolts, Josh? There are coatings for steel, but aircraft bolts are usually cadmium plated. New bolts are cheap.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

For fuel lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Ok... I was editing my reply when you posted the picture. In my opinion, I wouldn’t worry very much about that fitting. You could “paint” it after installation with any number of protective coatings - primer, light oil, etc., if you wanted to. The inside shouldn’t be much of an issue as far as corrosion is concerned. Auto paint supply stores should carry painting pre-treating chemicals for steel, similar to “Alodine”, that may give some limited corrosion protection. Others on this forum may be aware of some product(s) that would do what you want.
    Last edited by jrevens; 12-18-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Gotta agree with John - the part does not look bad at all. Many parts can not look new but are perfectly serviceable.

FWIW - I have gotten in the habit of giving misc small parts and fasteners a shot of moisture repellent lubricant. Lubricants, paints and sealers can be very useful in retarding rot and corrosion.

All metal parts will corrode - much of the corrosion resistant stuff coating fasteners is a sacrificial metal - such as zinc in the case of galvanizing - the zinc goes first extending the time when the weather elements will start working on the steel but it will go away with time.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Esser - I agree, doesn't look like a problem. If in doubt, grab a can of Boeshield T-9 (sometimes available in the aviation department at your local hardware store, otherwise at lots of internet sources). The liquid or the spray both evaporate and leave a protective wax coating.