Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pre-First Flight Questions

Default Pre-First Flight Questions

My Kitfox 4 is nearly ready for inspection and first flight, after way too much time spent building. I'm hoping you can help me with some questions.

I'm an 1100 hour private pilot with a tail wheel endorsement but very little tail wheel time. The insurance company wants me to have 5 hours in type before flying my plane, is there anyone near southeast Georgia who can offer transition training?

The insurance man says he'll consider reducing the transition time if I've logged recent time in a similar plane. My hangar neighbor has offered to take me up for pattern work in his Champ. Is there a legal way to log this time if the other pilot isn't a CFI?

My Kitfox is at Swaids Field, 2GA2. If any of y'all are in the neighborhood, I'd love to have you visit.

Thanks,
    Jack

Default Re: Pre-First Flight Questions

Jack - if you are legal to fly (current BFR, tail wheel endorsement, medical if needed, etc.) and the sole manipulator of the controls, I don't know why you can't log the time.

Default Re: Pre-First Flight Questions

Several things:
    1. Unlike an automobile, insurance is not legally required. So you could put the time in without insurance but your new baby would be at risk. Liability risk would be very low assuming you are the sole occupant of the aircraft.

2. Logging time in the champ is fine as long as you are legal to fly it. I personally feel it is similar enough to count. It was the only taildragger I had flown before the Kitfox. Unfortunately it is not my opinion that counts.

3. I have a Series 6 with an IO-240 engine. Not the same animal as your IV but still a Kitfox. I am not a CFI but I would be happy to let you get some stick time with it. I am at GE26 near KDBN. Let me know if interested.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)