Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF2 Pre Purchase inspection

Default KF2 Pre Purchase inspection

Hello chaps

you may recall I posted a few weeks ago regarding wing removal for transport

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8359

Well, it looks like I'm about to go look at it, buy it and bring it home same day, unless the photos are hiding something serious.

As mentioned before it has all of the firewall forward dismantled ready for a new firewall to be installed. New Stainless steel firewall is included.

What I could do with some pointers on any Kitfox specific issues that I should look for during the inspection.
    Any particular issues/weaknesses that are known but not necessarily obvious to an inspector that may not be experienced in Kitfoxes. For example any welds that are known to be weak spots, any inaccesable points likely to corrode, etc

I know the firewall forward installation (this is a greytop 582) is a bit unique to Kitfoxes, is there any drawings, manuals available covering this? Or even just a parts list so I can check it is actually all there. It is very much "in bits".

any guidance, help, tips, pictures, documents greatly appreciated!

regards

Kevin

Default Re: KF2 Pre Purchase inspection

The general quality, fit and finish of the work that you CAN see says volumes about the details you can't see. I don't have experience with a KF2 but I have heard of a couple common areas for problems: The bungee support tubing under the front edge of the seat may be bent or cracked. Rudder pedal torque tubes, if they haven't been upgraded, are weak and often break the welds.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS