Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist

Question Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist

Does anyone have, or know where to find, a copy of the National Kit Evaluation Team's checklist for the SS7? I'd be curious to have a look at it.

Default Re: Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist

Aviator 79

1) The official list of eligible kits, including the KF7 SS is included in the PDF at this address: Note this just identified the models eligible and does not have the eligibility letter to the Kit manufacturer, nor the NKETs checklist used to arrive at the conclusion the kit is eligible.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...it_listing.pdf

2) This 2017 list contains the actual eligibility letter and the NKETs checklist used to arrive at the conclusion the kit is eligible. However - none of the kitfox models are included in this courtesy publiction Many kit aircraft are there but the Kitfox is not for reasons unknown.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...its/nket_list/

3) I have no idea why the Kitfox models are not included in the checklist and eligibility letter documents. As far as I know there is no other source for this courtesy information. For builders, other than curiosity reasons, it probably does not matter because the Kitfox is on the official 51% list; or, it may be an oversight or a webmaster's job not quite done - who knows.

If a person wants to pursue this question, it would probably have to be with the FAA's DMAD folks - phone listed here.

Design, Manufacturing & Airworthiness Division, AIR-100, at (202) 267-1575
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave,

I found that same information, and also don't understand why the Kitfox is not included on the courtesy list. FWIW, Kitfox isn't the only one; the list of evaluated kits is much longer than the list for which checklists and approval letters is available.

In another thread someone was asking about hiring someone to build their plane, and it made me curious to know how much margin for commercial assistance the Kitfox has.

The NKET list was a relatively new list (2007 ish) and didn't exist when the Kitfox was reviewed. The original evaluations were done differently.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    The NKET list was a relatively new list (2007 ish) and didn't exist when the Kitfox was reviewed. The original evaluations were done differently.
    That makes sense. It's nice to get the information straight from the proverbial horse's mouth. Thanks John.