Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: off airport landings

Cool off airport landings

Hi all,

Because I have been flying in the Netherlands, where off airport landings are not allowed (I bet it's even illegal to think about it) I have never performed one.
    Now I am planning a trip abroad this summer, to a country where the chance might come up to try my hand at it...Cool!

Can I ask you guru's for some hints and tips for off-airport landings?
    Also, is it even possible with 6.00X6 tires? Or should I stick to manicured lawns with those. My tires are 8 ply, so pretty sturdy.

I am very excited by the idea of landing somewhere and camping under the wing, but i'd hate to break something in the process....

Thanks, Jan

Default Re: off airport landings

I wouldn't go to anything that is not a smooth grass runway without something else, especially with the 8 ply tires. Stiffness of the wheel is not what you want for unimproved strips, rather flexibility (4 ply). More plies allow the same size tire to go on a heavier plane, like the Cessna 206.

I would recommend the Desser smooth 8.50 x 6 tundra tires. They weight exactly the same as my 6.00 x 6-4 ply tires.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Hello Jan!
    Come to South Africa!
    We will get you off airport on a couple of 600x6's.
    And the way our currency is going, it will be really cheap for you....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that looks cool! I actually have some family in Joburg so it's on the bucketlist.
    Making the 10.000 Km trip in a Kitfox would be a bit overambitious though.

I was looking through my old posts, and realised that I finally did make my much desired off-airport landing this summer due to a blown radiator hose.

Investigation by the "aviation police" is mandatory after every precautionary landing, but they soon realised that you cannot really do much about hoses rupturing (replacement was to be due next winter).
    No further damage.

(that's me in the picture, trying to find a suitable trailer )

At least you don't need to worry about hills and high ground

I would have switched the hose for a new one and flown it out. You could get a 747 out of that field