Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dismantling a KF2 for transport

Default Dismantling a KF2 for transport

Hello

I may be off to buy a mk2 Kitfox shortly. I'll be going in a truck with the intention of buying and collecting at the same time as it is a 600 mile round trip..

I've not had a chance to look at one closely, so I need to know what is involved in taking the wings and tailplane to get it in the truck. What tools I will need.

I've searched just about everywhere online trying to find an assembly manual, do they just not exist?

Cheers
    Smiffy
    UK

Default Re: Dismantling a KF2 for transport

If it is going on a flat deck I would reccomend leaving it assembled and search this forum on how to best transport it(there are some pitfalls)
    There are no real secrets to disassembly other than have the right tools and a willing helper.Be real careful of the flaperons and rib tails

If you have to carry it in an enclosed truck that's to narrow to leave both wings on, you could just take one wing and the tail feathers off. End up being about 6' wide then. Overall width with wings folded should be about 7'10" - 8' 0" JImChuk

PS If you remove just the right wing, you most likely have a 5/16" pin in the front spar, a 5/16" bolt in the rear spar, a 5/16" bolt attaching the lift strut to the fuselage, 1/4" and 3/16" bolts hold the lift strut to the wing, fuel line and wiring for lights if so equipted. Also, 3/16" bolts hold control rods to flaperons. Left wing same except also ASI pitot tube. Tail feathers, 3/16" bolts hold braces from hor. stab. to fuselage, 3/16" pins holding elevator hinges together, and two 3/16" bolts holding hor. stab. to fuselage. Perhaps trim cable if so equipted although they didn't have any from the factory.
    Last edited by avidflyer; 11-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Hi Chaps

thanks for the comments. I think from avidflyers comments it isn't too much of an issue. I've helped to reassemble a Bucker Jungmann before so I'm reasonably in tune with what to expect, I just didn't want to get there and find some really weird hinge arrangement that doesn't come apart without a special tool!

The biggest box van I can hire in the UK is just too small to get it in with wings folded.

I'd thought about a flat bed but can't hire one locally, and in addition to that its winter here, the weather can vary between +15° with blue skies to -15° blizzards. The KF has all of the firewall forward dismantled, including the firewall, so I don't really want to move it 300 miles on an open bed in that state.

Once I get it back, the wings would be going directly to the airfield and the fuselage to my workshop 10 miles away to rebuild the firewall forward. I don't have the space in the workshop to keep the wings on, so it makes sense to me to remove them at time of collection.

cheers

smiffy

HI Smiffy
    When I transported my Vixen from southern California to BC Canada in early winter with wings folded on an open trailer I wrapped the entire aircraft with industrial shrink wrap!
    It worked very well. Aircraft protected and completely dry.
    Have fun
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    HI Smiffy
    When I transported my Vixen from southern California to BC Canada in early winter with wings folded on an open trailer I wrapped the entire aircraft with industrial shrink wrap!
    It worked very well. Aircraft protected and completely dry.
    Have fun
    Don
    I've seen that used on boats being transported. If I didn't have the workshop space issue at my end I'd consider that.

I'll keep you all posted as to whether it happens and how it goes.