Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video - Full flight with audio

Default Re: Video - Full flight with audio

I'm glad that all of my late night mind wanderings made sense to someone

An accurate tuff test would be the best way to know if there just might be a way to get VG's to work on our Kitfox wing. Maybe we just haven't found the exact right location? But again, I've seen a lot of locations tried over the years to poor results on Kitfoxes, so I'm still skeptical (plus I hate cleaning around VG's, so that somewhat deters me from installing any).

It is really interesting to hear that VG's work well on the STI Kitfox wing. But I have to admit that I know very little about what the difference is between that wing and a regular Kitfox wing. Maybe Kitfox aircraft could share where they located them on the STI wing and someone here could then try the same location on a regular Kitfox?

Trent, it sounds like you're going to try a set of STI wings on your plane, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by trentp View Post
    Av8rps, that makes total sense to me! It sounds like it really depends on what wing it's on as well because I have heard the VGs actually made a pretty big difference on the STi wing, which still utilizes flaperons. I plan on flying the STi wing without VGs before installing them so I can test it on that wing. I'll report back with my results.

Geez, I just remembered that someone had done tuft testing videos on youtube, and its already been covered here;

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=870

Yeah, I have not heard of anyone having much luck with the standard kitfox wing and VGs. The only one that seemed to claim an improvement was this testimonial on StolSpeed's site: http://stolspeed.com/kitfox (note the forward placement, mine are currently set in the location of the further back group of VGs in the photo in the testimonial, which leads me to think a further forward placement would be benficial)

And yes, I will be going with the STi wings on my plane!

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    I'm glad that all of my late night mind wanderings made sense to someone

An accurate tuff test would be the best way to know if there just might be a way to get VG's to work on our Kitfox wing. Maybe we just haven't found the exact right location? But again, I've seen a lot of locations tried over the years to poor results on Kitfoxes, so I'm still skeptical (plus I hate cleaning around VG's, so that somewhat deters me from installing any).

It is really interesting to hear that VG's work well on the STI Kitfox wing. But I have to admit that I know very little about what the difference is between that wing and a regular Kitfox wing. Maybe Kitfox aircraft could share where they located them on the STI wing and someone here could then try the same location on a regular Kitfox?

Trent, it sounds like you're going to try a set of STI wings on your plane, is that correct?

Pretty cool that you will be going to the new STI wing. You are a guy that I'm sure will maximize its capabilities, so it will be very interesting to hear your results with the new wing verses the old.

After I re-watched the YouTube Kitfox tuft testing video I was somewhat rethinking my thoughts about VG's effectiveness, as it was pretty convincing. Could it be so simple that we just need to move them further forward? I guess we will never know until someone tries it.

Thanks, I plan on giving a thorough pirep after getting comfortable in the STi.

Yeah, I really wish my VGs were removable so I could try moving them forward, when I look at the placement of where mine are in relation to stall AOA they definitely appear to be far enough back to be buried by the boundary layer at the start of the separation and therefore no longer effective during a stall.

Maybe someone else on here has VGs that are two sided taped on that they could move forward on their wing and try?

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Pretty cool that you will be going to the new STI wing. You are a guy that I'm sure will maximize its capabilities, so it will be very interesting to hear your results with the new wing verses the old.

After I re-watched the YouTube Kitfox tuft testing video I was somewhat rethinking my thoughts about VG's effectiveness, as it was pretty convincing. Could it be so simple that we just need to move them further forward? I guess we will never know until someone tries it.

Okay okay! Hint well received. After talking with Jerry at pacific Northwest aero LLC., I've decided to try my vgs at 3" behind leading edge. I'm just waiting for some free time and calm wind to see if there's any good results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome, please report back with your results!

Quote Originally Posted by GMKman View Post
    Okay okay! Hint well received. After talking with Jerry at pacific Northwest aero LLC., I've decided to try my vgs at 3" behind leading edge. I'm just waiting for some free time and calm wind to see if there's any good results.

Trent, Your video's are always a cut above no doubt. Keep up the good work!
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

Quote Originally Posted by trentp View Post
    Awesome, please report back with your results!
    Okay after doing some very amateur flight testing, moving the vgs forward to 3" from leading edge definitely improved low speed stall speeds and handling characteristics. I have an IO-240 up front i.e. nose heavy so if I add just a little power (1100 rpm vs. 800rpm) I can hold the stick all the way back in my lap till my arms get sore. At idle, it just merely porpoises without wing drop.
    The downside is the increased drag. Lost 5mph cruise (ballpark) which also created IMHO my oil temp. To increase to maintain same cruise speeds which in AZ is not a good thing in the summer. So I took them back off and oil temps returned to normally hot. Got to love AZ haha.

Quote Originally Posted by GMKman View Post
    Okay after doing some very amateur flight testing, moving the vgs forward to 3" from leading edge definitely improved low speed stall speeds and handling characteristics. I have an IO-240 up front i.e. nose heavy so if I add just a little power (1100 rpm vs. 800rpm) I can hold the stick all the way back in my lap till my arms get sore. At idle, it just merely porpoises without wing drop.
    The downside is the increased drag. Lost 5mph cruise (ballpark) which also created IMHO my oil temp. To increase to maintain same cruise speeds which in AZ is not a good thing in the summer. So I took them back off and oil temps returned to normally hot. Got to love AZ haha.
    Were you able to note how much it decreased your stall speed? Interesting on cruise speed, I haven't heard of anyone losing that much on the top end with VGs. Bummer about your temps as well, I see why you removed them.

Trent