Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Time for a big tire. Which one?

Default Time for a big tire. Which one?

I think I am comfortable enough now to put some big tires and start exploring a bit. I have been researching this for a while and came dow to 2 options

I have the groove wheel and breaks with the groove landing gear. I operate out of a paved airport and need some that will last not wear so fast like the ABW. So I ruled out ABW.

Option 1
    26" - Goodyear 260K61-1 Smooth Tundra 26x10.5-6-6-Ply 120 mph Tubeless Aircraft Tire.

Option 2
    21" - AERO CLASSIC SMOOTH TUNDRA FAA TSO TIRE 850-6 4 PLY

I believe they both work with my 6" groove wheel.

Are they comparable?
    Tube or tubeless?
    Does the 26" makes that much difference for backcountry operations?

Weight for me is not an issue as I am light and most of the time I am by myself.

Thanks
    Alex Di Sessa

Default Re: Time for a big tire. Which one?

My opinion only, but I personally would not even think of putting the 26" Goodyear 'blimp' tires on a Kitfox. I recently sold a set that were in like new condition. I originally had them on a Champ and then tried them on my RANS S7. The tire has pretty stiff sidewalls for both of these light planes. About the smallest plane that I think they are good on, would be something like a Super Cub. They are heavy and stiff enough that I wonder if you could run them with no air.
    I then bought some 26" ABW Airstreaks and they were near perfect. Since you don't want to go with those, my suggestion would be the Desser 8.50 smoothies.
    I am now on ABW 29" Airstreaks, and they are more than I need. I am going to get a set of the 8.50 smoothies to use when I travel to paved strips but keep the Airstreaks for 'playing'. Desser also makes a 27" but you would need 8" rims.
    The other tires will fit your Grove wheels. Not sure if you can fun the 8.50's tubeless on Grove wheels, but you can on Matco wheels. Probably a way to seal the rim halves on groves wheels also.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 03-28-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Hey Alex,

I agree with the last post regarding the 26in goodyears, they are pretty stiff and since they require a tube you have to run them at a high pressure to make sure you don't spin them on the wheel and sheer off a valve stem. They do handle pavement landings much better than the ABWs and are cheaper but that's about the only plus sides, if you are landing on pavement most of the time but want to go with "big" tires then they may be a decent option.

850s should be a minimum if you are going to go land on any rough or unmaintained fields. Just landing on grass or dirt runways or roads that are in good shape then you can get away with smaller.

There's no comparison to the ABWs though, they are amazing at absorbing bumps and can be ran at really low tire pressure (like 4psi if you wanted) which gives them great floatation on sand. With how soft they are its almost hard to mess up a landing (almost, I can still do it)... The big downside is the price and the fact that they wear out faster than the options you mentioned. Is there somewhere on the airport you fly out of that you could land on the grass next to the runway? If so then you could really improve the life of the ABWs.

Just remember, if you are going to go play off of pavement then big tires are a good form of insurance.

Trent

Hey, just curious if anyone has tried the bed liner on ABW tire trick or if that proved to be a bad idea?
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

dholly,

Yes, lots of guys put the bedliner on their ABW. Check over on the BCP.org site and there is a thread on it. My 29's still look like new, since I never land on pavement with them, well, maybe a couple of times. Something I will mention, when landing on pavement with ABW's, the softer you can set yourself onto the runway the better. Those big tires take a bit to spin up to speed and can 'grab' your attention very quickly, especially if it is a crosswind or one is not 100% lined up. I fly out of my own strip and rarely go to a paved strip with the plane. If I want to fly onto paved strips I use the 172.

I've had great luck with the Desser 21". They are light weight as weight is an issue for me, and they work well with about everywhere I go. I'm sure the 26" ABW has there place in the world and I might have gone that route if needed. Plus, big tires have that cool factor.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Quote Originally Posted by cubtractor View Post
    I've had great luck with the Desser 21". They are light weight as weight is an issue for me, and they work well with about everywhere I go. I'm sure the 26" ABW has there place in the world and I might have gone that route if needed. Plus, big tires have that cool factor.
    I concur with Mike Bentley, I have the 21" Smoothies. I have landed at some remote airstrips in both Idaho, Utah, & Mississippi with them and they have held up well to my torturous landings. One of the No ID 106 - Promontory Point Airstrip, in Utah was very rough gravel, and I had no issues. The picture on the Left is Ennis Texas, 3500 Foot Asphalt, the picture on the left is Promontory Point. I've landed at Ronnie Smith Grass Airstrip at Southern Mississippi Light Aircraft & Farm. The side benefit, they will not break the bank.

I like the Web Site I found for the Promontory Point Photo, I need to explore some of the Airports listed for Texas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Z; 03-29-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added comment
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I wasn't aware the Goodyear 26" were that stiff. That explains why you don't see them so often with lighter airplanes.

Seems like the 21" are what's left as I really just want to get my feet wet and then, could move to ABW in the future if I outgrow the 21"

Thanks
    Alex