Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best spot to mount Auxiliary fuel pump KF7

Default Re: Best spot to mount Auxiliary fuel pump KF7

I don't need to see the need to put the pump further back. Yes, pumps push better than pull but your pump is constantly primed by the gravity head pressure of your high wing tanks. If you mount your pump low on the fire wall the only time it would really have to "suck" fuel is once your header was less than half empty.

Yes but consider this: the only reason you install an auxiliary fuel pump is in case of partial blockages in the fuel lines or filters. Under normal conditions the gravity head alone is enough to feed the engine. If you get a partial blockage in a long suction line (pump mounted far forward) the weak sucking ability of the pump in addition to the restricted and long line probably will not be enough to pump adequate fuel to the engine. Whereas a much shorter suction line may be able to suck adequately even with a partial blockage.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Bringing up the issue of Where & How to install a Aux Fuel Pump?

After taking the Rotax Maintenance course, and talking to Brett at LEAF, I plan to install a Facet electric fuel pump in my KF 5 fuel line (inside the center console after the fuel shutoff).

-May the pump be "hung upside down" from the center console panel?

-Do I need a Capacitor?

-May the pump be "inline" alone, or do I need a bypass valve?

-Do I need a electric shutoff wired to the ignition switch or a oil pressure relay cutoff? May a direct wired pump with a manual panel switch work?

Looking for information and of course, opinions.

Thanks much,

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

This kind of ties into a discussion in another thread about fuel flow testing but also ties in with using an auxiliary fuel pump. In the past couple days, I have been working to finish my condition inspection. I decided to do a fuel flow test and noticed that the Facet back up pump does restrict the fuel flow considerably. With gravity only, I was getting 2 gph in a climb attitude and 5 gph in level flight at the inlet to the mechanical pump. (so from tanks to header, through Facet Pump, through shut off valve, through gascolator, to mechanical pump inlet) With the Facet turned on, it obviously shoots a overwhelmingly amount of fuel out. But I guess my thoughts on this are, unless there are bypasses around both pumps, electric and mechanical, I don't think gravity alone would provide adequate flow. Maybe that is why Rotax recommends a back up pump.

Jerry

Your results are what I would expect.

My two preliminary reasons for considering a aux fuel pump was the fact that I replaced the main fuel shutoff valve with a Kitfox Folks supplied generic shutoff valve that had an obviously smaller orifice than the old valve (replaced because the one that came with it turned hard and I felt it was about to get galled and/or stuck) and in my Rotax Service class I discovered that Rotax likes auxiliary fuel pumps in Everything.

In your testing, I would assume the fuel would "slow down" on it's way through all the extra piping of the (non-operating) Facet fuel pump....and of course would pump lots of volume when it was turned on. I'm still going with the pump, I just have to decide if it can be hung by it's heels, whether I need a bypass valve or mount in parallel and if I should have a separate manual switch or hook it up to the ignition switch.

I'm in favor of doing everything I can to make sure this engine gets all the fuel it wants in any phase of flying.

Thanks,

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

As I recall, the before that 1st flight fuel flow testing should produce 150 % of max power fuel flow (in GPH or pounds per hour) with the airplane attitude 5 degrees higher than any max attitude in flight. Long ago when I checked mine, I dug a hole on a hill in my yard , put the tailwheel in the hole with the airplane pointed uphill then did my gravity fed fuel flow test. Gave me peace of mind before that first takeoff! Bruce N199CL

I installed a facet pump on my first Model IV before first flight. It was just after the header tank with aluminum tubing fore and aft to the gascollator. The guy that checked me out in the airplane suggested aux pump on during takeofff. I did thst for a while, then went to straight gravity flow. Until one takeoff after an annual and an over tightened fireshield clamp restricted fuel flow to a trickle. Was able to get about 4000 rpm and returned to the runway. After the fix, it was back to facet off, but comforted by its presence. 900 hours with many in mountain country with nary a hiccup. The switch is a thumb away from the throttle.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks guys for the comments.

Another good thing I found out from Brett at LEAF today is that I can mount my little Facet aux pump cube any way I want to. I interpreted the instructions in the box to mean it should be mounted right side up. It's going upside down under the center console cover in front of the main "on-off" valve.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29