Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Potential Kitfoxer

Default Potential Kitfoxer

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and to kitfox, but I'm looking to buy IV 1200 that is mostly complete. I know costs vary widely depending upon how much work you complete yourself, but what is a rough estimate for annual cost of ownership? Also, as I do my pre-buy inspection, is there anything I should be on the lookout for, as the plane is mostly built and covered. Thanks!

Default Re: Potential Kitfoxer

Hey Laura,

First off....welcome to the list!

I can't speak too much to specifics on the IV except that my first Kitfox ride was in a IV and that sold me on the plane.

Also - there are lots of folks on this list with much IV experience - this is a helpful bunch.

What I can suggest is, if you end up being the repair person/builder - that is the best of all worlds as anyone can work on an experimental and you will be able to do your annual condition inspections if you obtain the certificate as the builder/repair person and that is minimal cost for the repairs/inspection then.

Insurance - depends on the situation and amount of coverage but my sense is if a person figures $1,000 a year for liability and hull you won't be far off - I made a point of contacting my potential insurance carrier before building and got this reply - "we love kitfoxes"

Storage - wild card - depends on what you have for hangar fees locally - varies widely.

Fuel - Kinda hard to burn more than 5 GPH with a kitfox - with the rotax it wants unleaded autogas

Maintenance - Engine maintanance, if you have the rotax 912 involves a rubber parts replacement that can run upwards to $1,000 for rotax parts - other powerplants will differ. Oil & filter for the rotax runs about $50 per change.

Frankly, Our S7 is the cheapest plane to operate I have ever flown.....biggest costs are insurance and hangar rental - everything else is pretty minimal.

Cheers
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

My first Kitfox flight was in a IV. A crazy guy by the name of Steve down Phoenix area.
    I was convinced that the KF 5 project I had recently bought was probably the best aviation related thing I had bought!
    Can't speak much on the Rotax, some swear by them, some swear at them. I am going with a slightly modified Lycoming.

Cheers
    Jeff
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Modified lycoming?

Thanks for the feedback folks. Still on the fence about getting an experimental LSA or going with something more conventional. Cost to operate seems hard to beat.

Laura,
    I am probably the most prejudiced Kitfox guy out there when it comes to the Model IV. I've had 2 with the first one flying 900 hours. The second one is a replacement of the first due to damage during a hard landing. I love the airplane. It is a bit more sensitive on the controls than the certifieds and later models, but I tell people it is like a dirt bike vs. a cruiser.

With regard to cost, I don't think you can beat an experimental especially if your name appears on the data plate as the manufacturer. Even without that, you can do all maintenance and some local guys have a trusted relationship with an A&P where the owner does the inspection, and then reviews the checklist with the certificated guy for the sign off. Insurance was mentioned. I have $1 million liability with hull for $1004. I do have some hours though.

I guess the best way to illustrate what I mean is to have you check the link below my signature. I had a camera mounted to the left lift strut from the very early days of the first one and have one on the new one as well. A group of guys got together each year for a trip to the Idaho Back Country as well as some local adventure flights and the Arizona fly-ins that went on for several years. We started with four Model IVs and two Rans. The rans served a valuable purpose because their max fuel was 20 gallons and we Kitfoxers never had to worry about fuel We just followed them to the pumps. Some of our trips had as many as eight airplanes.

The Old
    IMG_1785a.jpg

The New positioned for Show and Shine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel