Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Another question on false ribs and covering

Default Another question on false ribs and covering

It is unclear to me whether you bond the covering to the false ribs. Any input would be helpful. SS7 build.

Thanks

tom

Default Re: Another question on false ribs and covering

The only bonding that occurs is when you are all done covering and shrinking and stitching the fabric, you apply the Polybrush to seal the fabric. The Polybrush soaks thru and bonds to whatever is underneath it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Another question on false ribs and covering

My thought is this - regardless what type of fabric system is used, it needs to be shrunk before any bonding of fabric to the false ribs, but then it is probably advantageous to "stick" it to them. It may make very little difference, and you have finish tape over the false ribs of course, but creating some slight bond between the ribs & fabric may minimize or prevent minor rubbing movement between them as the wings flex, preventing wear. With the Oratex, I applied a light coat of glue to the false ribs, but didn't apply pressure & direct heat to bond them until the fabric was shrunk.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime