Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SP6 and 7

Default SP6 and 7

Where are you all placing your magnetic sensors?

Default Re: SP6 and 7

Hmmm... What magnetic sensors specifically are you asking about.

I am having a tough time thinking about what specific magnetictic sensors that I might have that could be what you are asking about.

I don't have a compass on my dash but use a Dynon that has a compass module mounted out in my wing tip to get it away from the steel fuselage.

Anyway some specifics might help me reply more directly.

Well it's for a MGL Voyager unit and it has the compass unit and the attitude ars unit that has to be in the center of the plane, level.

This is my solution

Please be aware that my kitfox is still under construction and I've yet to actually mount a magnetic sensor on the shelf and put it to use. When I do I might discover some things I should have done differently.

As I previously mentioned I fly with a Dynon unit but I don't know how it compares to your MGL unit.

I had to mount the compass module out in the wing tip to avoid the influence the steel fuselage would have on it. I have included some pictures of my install. The module has specific requirements for direction and attitude so I built the installation with adjutment features in 3 planes. My plane has been flying since June of 2010 and I have good performance of the compass feature.

The Dynon unit has other sensors in the instrument box and that box is mounted in the panel with specific attention to the direction and attitude, but it doesn't have to be in the center of the plane nor does it have any requirement regarding the steel fuselage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just bought an XTrem and SP6 and SP7.
    For the moment only put the SP7 i put it between panel and firewall and it's ok nice product. No time for the moment to install the SP6 compass will be harder to do metallic environment

if you guys need to null a magnetic field ,..there is a product called "Magshield" I've used it to block areas around a compass and electrical components,.. it is basically a high nickel alloy,.. for the life of me i can not find the paper work from when I last ordered some or I could give you the vendor,..maybe a google search?

http://magshield.com.au/

Im thinking this might be the site,.it's used for computer shielding .. high voltage wire shielding as well
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 09-16-2011 at 01:13 PM.

why not but the sensors will continue to detect the north ?

GDN if your question pertains to the "Magshield" you wrap the item that is emitting not the source that is detecting