Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: older 912 ul heating up

Default Re: older 912 ul heating up

Could you provide some details, and possibly pictures, of using a vacuum refill system? Thanks!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Could you provide some details, and possibly pictures, of using a vacuum refill system? Thanks!
    The unit I’m currently using is the snap on Svtsrad272a. Check out Utube
    They have some nice demo videos of it in use.

That thing looks like a piece of cake to replicate at home. Certainly John or Merril can do it.

Thanks for that, Mike. I think that it would be even more ideal to draw the proper vacuum at the distribution tank at the top of the engine, then draw the antifreeze into the system at the drain plug on the radiator. That would seem to be the ideal technique. Some plastic tubing, a couple of valves, and a "jet-pump" or aspirator type vacuum source using air pressure from your compressor would be very easy to build.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I’ve been filling systems this way for years. When you draw a vacuum on the
    System there is very little air left in the system. The rubber hoses even collapse.
    Refilling from the top works fine.
    For best results drain the system before you pull vacuum,trying to top off a system has mixed results.

ok guys looks like I have the wrong sensors or the wrong EIS for this motor talk to Rotax guy he said the motor would not even run if the EGTs where that high showed him the spark plugs and he told me they were burning great so stay tuned for more and thanks again guys for all the help.

Ok just got back from the airport all fixed now. 1. changed out exhaust prob was and was still too F*** high check the plugs again and again and again running lean so after 100th time I changed the main jet to 170 I know right But I want to see black plugs not white ones and man did it do the trick drop the temp right down EGTs 1250 F CHT 230F and coolant 215 F flew the plane for over 1.5 hour top speed 120 mph . I pulled the plugs and nice and brown. I'm going to keep my eye on plugs and see what happens thanks again for all the help will post some picture

I don't know what you have going on there, or who your 912 Rotax guy is, but 170 jets are way, way, WAY too much fuel.

1250º is way too cold of EGT. Normal is 1472º F, redline is 1652º F with the EGT probe 4-6" from the exhaust valve.

Also, for the record CHT redline is 300º F.

I really wonder if you are chasing a non-problem.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 06-11-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Well you could be right but I have not stop looking for the issue just trying to move the needle motor gets too hot it will sink a valve seat and then we start spending big money I think if it runs too rich I will see that on the plugs I will say I do believe the problem is in the carbs everything else is right on the number

Just a thought. I had a similar problem with a 503 years ago. After changing jets and adjusting my floats so that my carb bowl gas level was right, I happened to notice what should have been obvious, that my floats were barely floating. I ordered new floats and went back to stock jetting. Problem solved! James Thomas